• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 floorboard in 96?

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ and the only rust on the whole jeep in in the drivers side floorboard area. It is pretty roached out. On the underside, the frame rail is solid as a rock. I searched all over for "patch panels" and everything else I could think of and have found nothing. I did find a donor floor at a local yard but, it is a 97 XJ. It looks like it would work, but I thought I would ask here first.

My 90 was the same way at one point in time, but the majority of the floor was rusted all the way through on both sides. What i did to fix it was cut out all the rusted metal and cut pieces of an old car hood to fit the holes and just had my friend weld them in place. I takes a fair amount of prep work to get all of the surface rust off and get it ready to be welded but now water doenst come through the floor when it rains. All you need to do is find some piece of sheet metal and make your own floorboard. Good Luck

The '97 and newer XJs have a bar going across the front - for the seat mounting bolts. You will find the holes are not in the same place.

RTicUL8 said:
The '97 and newer XJs have a bar going across the front - for the seat mounting bolts. You will find the holes are not in the same place.
Actually, I think that appeard first in '95 or '96. If the seat mounts are are same, the floor pan will be the same.

Have you checked JC Whitney? I think I recall their catalog (or web site) listing replacement floor panels for the XJ.

Yup, I've got that bar across the front on my '96 - that's why the Mag-Lite fits so well down there (see other thread for more details)

Thanks for the info. This isn't a case of a little hole here, and another over here.......It's a case of one BIG ol' hole. I plan on cutting out all of the cancer and replacing it with the donor floor. Both my 96 and the donor 97 have the seat mounting "bar". I will probably replce right up to the "bar", the rust isn't back that far. Again, thanks for the help...

Haleyes

I'm probibly wrong on this, but as far as I can tell [aside from the aformentioned seat bracket] the body tub was the same for most if not all xj's. Just different fenders, nose, doors, and hatch. If you look closely at the body tubs they all appear to be the same.

:EDIT: Someone please post up if you know different. I would like to know, just for GP.

NUMBER: 23-026-02
GROUP: Body
DATE: Jun. 10, 2002
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retreival system,
or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.
THIS BULLETIN IS BEING PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. DO NOT ORDER PARTS OR
PERFORM ANY ACTIONS RELATED TO THIS BULLETIN UNTIL JUNE 30, 2002.
SUBJECT:
Floor Pan Corrosion
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the removal of corrosion perforation and the installation of new floor pans
MODELS:
1984 - 2001 XJ Cherokee
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle may demonstrate floor pan corrosion perforation caused by: water/salt water
intrusion into the interior of the vehicle. Mud collecting on the underbody surfaces of
the floor pan that retains road salt and moisture. Holes being drilled through the floor
pan for accessories without applying the proper corrosion resistant coatings.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. Using the appropriate year Service Manual and Section 0, place the vehicle on a hoist.
2. Inspect the underside of the floor pan for corrosion perforation; if there is corrosion
perforation in the floor and the frame rails are intact proceed with the repair.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Left side, pre 94 (without front seat risers)
Qty Part No. Description
1 05072501AA Lt. Side 1/2 front floor pan
1 05093241AA Inner seat mounting bracket
1 Kit 05093204AA XJ floor pan installation kit
Right side, pre 94 (without front seat risers)
Qty Part No. Description
1 05072502AA Rt. Side 1/2 front floor pan
1 55235811AB Muffler shield + hardware
1 05093240AA Inner seat mounting bracket

23-026-02 -2-
Right side, post 94 (with front seat risers)
Qty Part No. Description
1 05072514AA Rt. Side 1/2 front floor pan
1 05093242AA Inner seat mountintg bracket
1 55235811AB Muffler shield + hardware
Left side, post 94 (with front seat risers)
Qty Part No. Description
1 05072515AA Lt.Side 1/2 front floor pan
1 05093243AA Inner seat mounting bracket
1 05093204AA Floor pan kit, Lt. side with seat riser
EQUIPMENT/MATERIALS REQUIRED:
Qty Description
1 Drill motor W-7804R (PSE)
2 cartridges per side MOPAR Structural Adhesive 05083855AA
1 MOPAR Adhesive gun 05016570AA
1 17/64" Drill bit
1 Spot weld cutter - 7/16 Rotabroach cutter 11112
and Arbor 11089. For information call 586-677-1277
or [email protected]
1 Pneumatic rivet gun W-AK175ACH
1 Air hammer (PSE)
1 Scraper
1 Heat gun W-PH 1200 Varitemp (PSE)
1 Scotch-Brite™ Roloc™ + Clean and Strip XT
Disc + Holder 07470
REPAIR PROCEDURES:
See following notes.
NOTE: REPAIR PROCEDURES ARE OUTLINED IN THE INSTRUCTION
SHEET INCLUDED IN THE PARTS KITS.
NOTE: THERE MAY BE MARKETS OUTSIDE THE U.S. WHERE LOCAL
RESTRICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE REPAIRS AS
RECOMMENDED IN THE INSTRUCTION SHEET IN THE TSB. FOR THOSE
MARKETS AN ALTERNATIVE WELD REPAIR PROCESS IS AVAILABLE THROUGH
YOUR COUNTRY OFFICE TECHNICAL SUPPORT TEAM.

-3- 23-026-02
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
23-85-80-92 Floor pan repair-Left or Right (1 side) 12.0 Hrs.
23-85-80-93 Floor pan repair-Left and Right
(both sides
20.0 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
P1 Rust Perforation

That article is very interesting. So out of curiosity, where did you find it and does this mean I can take my jeep to the dealership and have them fix it? I realize it would cost a fortune, but theoretically they would be able to do it. Thanks.

i believe that is the text of a chrysler Technical Service Bulletin..(or TSB) not a recall... just an internal memo with special info/instructions for service departments.. i believe they are available online somewhere but i dont really know..

Back