• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Canyon Rims on my XJ ?

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a stock '01 Sport 4x4 with rusted steel wheels and someone near me is selling 5 Canyon rims from his TJ. From searching I know they are 15x8 with 5.25 BS. Has anyone tried these on a stock XJ with either 225/75s or 235/75s? Since the BS is the same, I shouldn't rub any suspension components, but what about the fender flares?

Nah, ther're not going to fit, too big, whats this guys phone number :D

They will go on with no problem, pretty much any jeep wheel from the XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ will fit interchangably, KJ too I think though they are 16"'s. WJ's are a different story, different bolt pattern.
Keep your old ones and have em blasted then repaint them or have them powder coated, keep em for winter use or off road rubber... Canyons are nice wheels...

Thanks. They're just taking up space in his garage, so I'm hoping to get a good deal on them.

225/75 is a small tire for an 8" rim. It will fit but it may wear weird. I wouldnt go any smaller than 235s and would prefer 30X9.50s for a stock XJ with 8" rims.
I think Jeep 8" rims have 5.5" backspacing not 5.25.

Good point Ray, I hadn't thought about the rim being too wide for the tire... and I do air down for sand sometimes.

stoneattic said:
So is would that make them further out from the LCAs or closer?

here is a nifty chart explaining all the measurements on wheels -
backspace.jpg

taken from: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/backspac.html

Grab them quick...Don't go smaller than 31X10.50...30X9.50 don't look right on 8 inch wide rims...I want a set of canyon rims off a TJ...but my 30X9.50's wouldn't look right...When these wear out...Getting 31X10.50's and a set of canyon rims...I expect to pay through the nose too...Happy Jeeping

JOHN4WD said:
Grab them quick...Don't go smaller than 31X10.50...30X9.50 don't look right on 8 inch wide rims...I want a set of canyon rims off a TJ...but my 30X9.50's wouldn't look right...When these wear out...Getting 31X10.50's and a set of canyon rims...I expect to pay through the nose too...Happy Jeeping

Ummm... 30x9.50 is the factory tire size to go with those 8" rims. They look like very nice on the 8" Ravines on my 00 Sport. They have that 'right-sized' look, not too big, not too small. 31x10.50 would look good too, but you will most likely need a lift on an XJ.

Also, everyones' experience seems to be different. I have not had any rubbing/clearance issues with mine either turning or on trails. My Jeep is at stock height.

JOHN4WD said:
I suppose that is a matter of opinion so I wont say you are wrong about them not looking good. I think 31X10.50s look just right on 8" rims but 30s dont look bad. Ive ran that combination for about 3 years now and its done fine.
As for the 5.5" backspacing on 8" rims verses 5.25" on 7" rims. Even though the 8" rim has more backspacing, the centerline of the wheel is .25" further outboard than on a 7" rim with 5.25" backspacing so youre less likely to have issues with rubbing on the LCAs.

Yes they may fit...But every inch you go wider on rims makes the tires squat more...so less room under you axles...I had 30X9.50 BFG Trail TA on my toy 4X4 with 15X6 inch stock rims and the tires were higher than my cherokee with BFG All-Terrain TA KO's 30X9.50 tires on 7 inch SE rims...Right now since my tires are fairly new I'm trying to find a set of Wrangler stock 15X6 inch SE rims to mount these tires too...Every time I look at a pic of my old toy with those size tires and look at my cherokee the ones on the toy were taller...I measured the tires on toy and they were a hair under 29 1/2 inches tall...While the ones on my cherokee are only 28 1/2 inches tall...I could be wrong but that's how it looks to me...Some one out there will prove me wrong...but that's what the forums are all about;} To Learn...Happy Jeepin...

John4wd...

JOHN4WD said:
Yes they may fit...But every inch you go wider on rims makes the tires squat more...so less room under you axles......Some one out there will prove me wrong...but that's what the forums are all about;} To Learn...Happy Jeepin...

John4wd...

I cant prove you wrong and I used to think the same thing but I read on a tire site (cant remember where though) that on modern tires the diameter stays roughly the same no matter how wide the wheel is. It was explained that the tread area of a tire cant expand because of the belts enbedded in it. It was interesting and dispelled some tire myths for me. I will see if I can find it again.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=25824

"Because the overall diameter of a radial tire is determined by its belts, this tire's overall diameter should remain virtually unchanged. To calculate the new aspect ratio, we repeat the earlier calculation, this time substituting the revised section width of 11.2 inches.

Last edited:
i am running canyon rims on my 94 xj. they fit fine but i needed to put a washer behind the steering stop bolt so the wheels did not hit the steering linkages not its fine and beautiful.
mynew31s.jpg

Last edited:
Back