• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tachometer

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
my current gauges have the LARGE gas gauge next to the milage, if i get a new gauge pod and just plug it in, will the tachometer work ? or do i need to replace sensors or something ? thanks

Yes, gauge pod swaps are common, the 97+ takes about 40 minutes and drops right in with no sender or other changes. The only thing that may be different is the location of different lights on the cluster between years, on my 98 I used a 97 cluster, the 'low washer fluid' and 'security' lights were reversed, now when I'm low on washer fluid the security light comes on.
On older models there is a breakover year between mechanical and electronic spedometer setups. Use the search function for more details, it has been discussed here alot over the years...

yes ive seen the write up and it looks good and everything, but the question im wondering is if i change my pod to one with a tachometer, will it work if i just swap my gauge pods ? i wanted to know how the tachometer works, if theres like a sensor that i would need to add for it to work or somethign ?

Your "tach" wiring is already present....but what the others are talking about...is if you switch....WHOLE...gauge cluster out...which...is the easiest...you may have to change 2 sending units....on the older xj's. I changed mine out....it's a 1988 xj...I had the big fuel gauge...but I also had volt gauge, oil pressure, temp gauge...so...I didn't have to change any sending units on mine...it was a "plug and play".
If you're thinking about just changing out the tach....don't....it leads to other problems w/in the cluster....I think it's much...much easier to change out your gauges to a whole other gauge set that has full gauges with/tach.

Aron

thats what i was wondering because on my gauge pod i have MPH, GAS then the small ones are VOLTS/ OIL / and TEMP so i would just be able to plug and play right ??? all i have to do is find a gauge pod at the junkyard with 2 electrical connects, and the SPEEDO connector so it will fit mine and i should be good ? thanks guys this will be be a piece of cake. : )

I think our big question is what year do you have, then those of use who have done it can be more specific.

RichP said:
I think our big question is what year do you have, then those of use who have done it can be more specific.
yep, cant really tell you much without knowing the year

Can i be 99

I got a 97 SE...It came with the I call idiot cluster...Bought a full cluster off e-bay for $20.50 total with shipping...I guess nobody else wanted to bid on it...So got it dirt cheap...But it works (Plug and Play)...Took me not quite 30 minutes to install...My old cluster is for sell if anybody is stupid enough to want it;}LOL J/Kidding...I use it for a frustration reliever by smashing it with a hammer now and agian...When old cluster was in there washer light went on...But haven't been low enough on fluid for it to come on again...So if the other guy is right...My washer light on new cluster won't work right...guess I'll have to let fluid get low again and see what happens...If a different light comes on I guess I'll have to take the bulb out...The ABS light stayed on because I don't have ABS took that bulb out...Don't have rear hatch sensor to tell me hatch isn't shut right had to remove that bulb also...Also if anybody does mess with there cluster on any cherokee with a computer...Disconnect battery first...Don't want a surge to fry your NEW or OLD guages...Not worth taking a chance...

John4wd...

put a 00 or 01 gauge in my 99 and everything works great, even the low fluid and security lights arent crossed

Mine is out 89 or 90 Commanche Eliminator....and the styling is totall different from my old style looking greenish gauges....the new one is black/red....it made my dash look like it was about 10 years newer.....My gauges look just like...say the 94/95 tach gauges. I didn't know that they had that style for the old ones....till I found it in a junkyard. I have a pic of the different ones down below....the pic will work as soon as JU is up and running again....

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=608382

Aron

Back