• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocky Road Steprails (Just Finished)

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
My RRO Steprails came in today. I chose the step rails for extra door protection. I started the install after I put my son to bed (at midnight). It's 3:00 AM, I'm finished, and I have some opinions about the product and installation.

-The instructions are pretty clear. It's pretty obvious how they go on though.
-They look very nice. Powdercoating is clean, welds OK, and packed nicely.
-They are heavy. If you have 4+ inches of lift, you will need tall jackstands or someone to help.
-Apparently they are supposed to ship some steel tape with them for a template for the holes. The steel tape was not packed with mine. I had to measure for each hole, which took a little longer. (RRO lost points with me for that one)
-You had better be dead on with the holes and have it straight.
-The fit is good and they feel very sturdy to stand and jump on.
-The step rails stick out as far as the flares and the widest part of the doors.

I get to test them this weekend on the trail. I'll give an update and post some pics after the ride.

HarveOut-

...unless they redesigned the rails, I'm pretty sure those are the ones that flex upward when you sit them on a rock. Hopefully yours aren't like that, but based on enough other comments about RRO I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed with their original design.

Need pics!

i have beat the crap out of my RRO rails for the past 2 years and never had a problem with them bending or warping, i remember being pissed about the templet for the holes not being there then realized they had stuck them into the rail where it mounts to the pinch weld, i realized this after spending a day trying to get the holes lined up right. everyone bashes RRO but ive never had a problem with them or their products.

My RRO rails are the only things I have bought from that company that I would not like to beat the owner over the head with.
If you can bend one of my rails up into the body, I will be severely impressed.
Severely.
As for the metal template, I would bet it was in there, they stuff it inside the 1" box that runs along the pinch seam.
My guess is that you didn't find it and bolted right through them.
Look inside the small box tubing, if you can.
The templates are in there.

I'm not too impressed to say the least. And yes, I installed them correctly. Both sides are like this.

160_6087.JPG

jpnjason said:
Kevins Sliderz.....www.kevinsoffroad.com.

I and many others I've been wheeling with have bashed the SNOT of them. I regularly use them for hi-lift points and pivot points against rocks.
I would use Kevin's stuff WAY before buying something from RRO. I've had too much bad luck with their products.

One of my first mods, the step rails. Great for pivoting, they saved my doors more than a dozen times.

But...

RRO1.jpg

RRO2.jpg

RRO3.jpg

So...

I'd say not JV approved, but better than no protection at all.

As you can see, rocker damage, at all 4 crossing points, and bent cross members.

As those that have been on the trail with me know, I don't bash.

--ron

i think the step rails would bend before the regular ones that tuck in more would just because if a rock hits the outside edge of the rail wouldnt there be more leverage there to bend the rails than if it were tucked in more?, thats just my theory.

basalt51 said:
I'm not too impressed to say the least. And yes, I installed them correctly. Both sides are like this.

160_6087.JPG

I truly stand corrected.
Honestly, I have beaten the living piss out of mine, and I have no rocker damage at all.
Either I am not as harsh as I thought I was, or you guys can't drive.
I am guessing that I am not that harsh.
Mine are coming off soon, as part of my 'RRO Cleansing' ritual.
There are some badass ones made down in the armpit of IN that I have my eye on.
I guess Midwest wheeling is for nancies.
Have a nice day, listening to 'Tangerine Dream' over the CB as a member of my trail group.
:laugh2:

Last edited:
bgcntry72 said:
I guess Midwest wheeling is for nancies.
Have a nice day, listening to 'Tangerine Dream' over the CB as a member of my trail group.
:laugh2:

Yeah wheeling in the midwest is useless and no one will ever get any real damage out here - there arent any hils or rocks anyway right?
and obivously us rednecks dont know how to drive, so if we ever broke something - its because we hit the curb wrong...

What size is that steel that connects to the unibody, it looks like 1in square! How frickking scarey is that! Possibly the best rock rail out there would be the ORGS/JKS ones, a little pricey though. Second would be, IMHO, Kevins Sliderz. Both are bomb proof and even more so if welded on.

bgcntry72 said:

kid?

Had to ask him about that, they looked like RRO at first...
Like what he did.

Been looking at other rails, maybe it's just me on 33's and not something bigger, but I end up pivoting on rails, alot. If they don't stick out past the stock late model flairs, I'd be doing the pivoting on my door panels, and wiping the flairs off.

Toboggan at LCIR comes to mind, in terms of sliding.

So does this situation, same drivers side potential bite...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44582

--ron

I've posted some of these before as well, but I watched as EricsXJ's RRO steprails flexed up and down, alot, as he negotiated this boulder (heading up true sluice). No dropping down hard on them or anything. Needless to say his started looking more and more like mine as the trip progressed.

0006.jpg

0009.jpg

0010.jpg

His jeep, not mine - thx for the pics eric :)
r58.jpg

I spent about an hour trying to figure how to align the bolt holes then found the templates inside the 1 inch tube like the others stated. I would probably venture to say they were stashed inside there on yours as well.

crookedxj said:
So people are having problems with thier steprails... Anyone had problems with thier rockrails bending?

i have the non step type and mine are fine. and they have taken some decent abuse ie; sliding and some good slams and ive had no problems at all.

File0024.jpg

File0022.jpg

File0023.jpg

mine came up into my rocker on the end like others, but they havent bent and i have slammed down on them very hard. i just look at it that the added give acts to absorb the impact :)

krh9848 said:
I spent about an hour trying to figure how to align the bolt holes then found the templates inside the 1 inch tube like the others stated. I would probably venture to say they were stashed inside there on yours as well.

I was just reading the post again, and noticed that no 'others' mentioned this.
Am I missing something?

Back