• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tomken Lift?

I know that most of ya'll out there use RE lifts, and I'm just about to order a 4.5" from them. But I was wondering if anybody out there runs a tomken lift, they look pretty good, but Ive never seen or read about anyone that has one. I just wanted to ask before I fork out my cash for the other. Thanks,
Bruce

Last edited:
I don't have one and don't know anyone that does. I will say this about tomken: Some of there stuff is great and some of it is pure garbage. I don't think I would take the chance on something as major as a lift. I have an RE lift and they know what they are doing. I also have tomken tranny and t-case skids and they are very strong, on the same not a buddy had there rocker guards and they smashed his rockers the first time he used a hi-lift on them...

never really heard to much about Tomken. I new I didn't want their lift kit though when I saw their xj that they had built up. The thing is bright orange with a big yellow stripe running down the center. Just that totally turned me off to their products

Their customer service is somewhat questionable. Any particular reason why you want to go with Tomken?

Oh... if you do go with them, make sure to get the rubber bushings for hte leafs: the poly ones will drive you nuts with the noise.

I run their rear leaves and old style control arms. No complaints really. I got the 4" leaves used and after about 2 years of heavy use on my end they have sagged about a 1". I think the previous owner had them 3-4 years? I'm running a extented shackle so that might have some effect.

wow.. such harsh opinions on a company that people don't really have any experience with.

I have used tomkens stuff in the past... i never had a single problem with any of their lift components. Their LCA's we're super beefy, leafs and springs held up for a pretty long time without any sag, etc...

it wouldn't bother me at all to run their stuff again. I've *heard* some bad things about their swing out carriers but i can't comment on those.

i've always been meaning to swing by their shop sometime. it's out in the middle of nowhere just north of Buena Vista, Colorado. they've always got a plethora of very nice rigs parked out front.. mostly CJ's.

The springs where fine when I got them and pretty flexy, I just hammer them alot, fireroad runing, ect. The where a little bounchy unloaded but withsome gear in the back the road nicly.

I do not have a Tomken lift but I have their front and rear bumpers and rock rails. I can tell you that I have beat them very hard the last few years and have nothing but praise for how strong they are. I've had them on my XJ for a couple of years now and they have paid for themselves many times over.

I recommend talking to DC at DC4WD. He sells both Tomken and RE stuff.

-Brian

had a tomken 6" on my old XJ, no drop brackets. Springs held up to 100k miles w/o much sag, maybe a half inch. It rode lick crap, but on the other hand, like I said, no drop brakets. I also had there rear bumper, it looked and functioned great, no complaints. If you buildng on a budget, there stuff will do the job, you could always upgrade things later.

About seven years ago, I needed a trailer hitch for my first XJ. I lived in Summit county, Colorado, about an hour's drive from Tomken. I went over to pick up a hitch from them, and they were nice enough to let me drive one of their cherokees with their 4 inch lift in it. Handling was good, stretches of braking bumps on the drive up to their shop could be taken at 40 Mph with out the rear end trying to swap with the front. I didn't get to flex it out, but I did spend some time in the shop looking at the parts being built. Workmanship was very high quality. But, compared to what's available today, a lot of their stuff looks "cobbed-up", albeit done with high skill. It's all bombproof simple shapes, lots of square tubing of large thickness...heavy duty.

I ran there 4in leaf packs for 4 years and I got them from a junk yard on a totalled XJ. I thought they were great, didnt sag and I wheeled fairly hard on them too. Just sold them to another member when I went to RE 5.5 leafs and he is thrilled with ride of them.

I have Tomkin 4" leafs and they have lost about a inch in 3 years of heavy use. Not related to their lift, I had a Tomkin bumper on my old Jeep. It was strong but the powder coat was coming off in large patches. I have their gas tank skid and it fit great and is very strong.

I have a slightly modified tomken 6". I love the way it handles with long arms and those springs are really nice. definitely worth a look.

Thanks for the response, I'm still going to go with the RE, but I figured I'd see what ya'll thought about the tomken stuff. Seeing that most everone agrees on thier beefy products, I might go to them for skids or rails or something.
Thanks,
Bruce

Back