• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IPF H4 upgrade ?

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
i was lookin around on quadratec.com and i saw that they have the IPF H4 upgrade, the ones for 43.00 with the CLEAR lens so that you can clearly see the bulb. and i wanted to know if they are worth it, and if i would be hurting anything if i get them, because i heard some people talk about how the wiring isnt strong enough or something, and i wanted to use the IPF magic H4 magic bulbs with the BLUE after glow.

so the 2 headlamps are 43.00 each, and the H4 bulbs w/ blue afterglow is like 60.00 / pair. is this a good upgrade ? thanks alot guys. -matt

oh i forgot to mention, that i was talking about the IPF MSR clear lenses. with the IPF magic bulb w/ blue afterglow
and if not doing a harness upgrade will hurt anything, is there a write up on how to do it to an XJ without the fuse box in the front, would i just wire everything the same way, but instead of connecting to the fuse box, just connect the power directly to my POS batery post, and my ground directly to my NEG post ? a write up would be great but all the ones ive found were for the XJ's with a fuse box under the hood .

Depends on which bulbs you run...any bulbs will benefit from upgraded wiring, but something like a PIAA Extreme White is going to be just fine without upgrading. They're still a 55/60W bulb.

FWIW, the MSR is the new model...the old 820s are discontinued. There are some here and there if you need some located. ;)

i bought some HELLA vision plus housings and upgraded my wiring to run PIAA super whites... i think they were like 80/80W. but after a while i replaced those bulbs and wiring with some real HIDs. its one of the best upgrades i've done

brandon
PS, yes lighting is always a good and worthwhile upgrade, whatever helps ya see better at night

I have the old style head light inserts, not the MSRs. I love mine. If you go with the Magic bulbs, you won't have a problem with the wiring. I upgraded mine because I was going to jump up my bulbs. I did see a good increase in light output with the upgrade, so it is worth it, but you don't need it to run the Magics.

HTH

I have the older style lenses but I do have the Magic-J bulbs with the blue ring. I did not upgrade my wiring harness and have had no problems with my wiring. I am very pleased with the lights, both the lenses and bulbs. Good light output, whiter than traditional halogens, and the blue ring is kind of a cool affect. I think they are a worthwhile upgrade.

I have the old style IPF's and had the Maj bulbs and they are a big improvement over stock.
Installing a headlite harness is not necessary BUT does make a further improvement (noticeable)
When the Majic bulbs burned out (about 3 years) I bought some Global Premier XD5 bulbs which were much less than the Majic bulbs and provide even more light. Seeing is Believing!!

I have/had the old housings with the green magic-j bulbs. They make a great difference from the stock lights even without the upgraded wiring. (50w bulbs). Everyday when I get in my DD I realize how good the IPF's are in the XJ. However the housings (at least the old ones) are not near as strong as they say they are. One of mine got busted by a small rock that fell off a gravel truck. Moisture got in and the bulb was out by the next day.

Back