• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UCA Johnny joints

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of building my own control arms. They will be similar to the RE super flex control arms.

My intent was to use JJ's on the axle end of the LCA's and JJ's on the frame end of the UCA's.

My questions are this:
Will the JJ's on the upper control arms add any significant flex?
Will the UCA pockets have enough room for the flex that the JJ's alows?
Anyone done this before?
Any other concerns?

Thanks,
Michael

Mark Hinkley said:
Why not use them on all ends of the arms, more movement!

hinkley

COST!!

I did not expect to all of the available flex in the joints not alone two joints.

Anyone think differently?

Michael

Curries sells a kit that allows you to modify the axle UCA moutn to run a JJ.

Dont know if this helps, but just a thought.

Fergie

Yep, I am aware of them. Too expensive for my application.

What I did is purchased currie's 2.5 and 2" JJ's with the threads to build my control arms (adjustable on uppers and lowers). But then I realized that it might be worthless to put them on the uppers to increase flex and they might hit the inside of the upper pockets?

I was just wondering if others had tried this.

Michael

I've put them on both ends on my CAs. I've used both the JJs and the Rubicon version. Only the Rubicon is adjustible with wear. I believe if you are going to use only one per arm then you are better off with it on the axle end. That is the way RE does it and from an engineering standpoint makes more sense. I prefer one on each end and haven't seen the need to modify my upper CA mounts and I have LOTS of flex.

Danno said:
I've put them on both ends on my CAs. I've used both the JJs and the Rubicon version. Only the Rubicon is adjustible with wear. I believe if you are going to use only one per arm then you are better off with it on the axle end. That is the way RE does it and from an engineering standpoint makes more sense. I prefer one on each end and haven't seen the need to modify my upper CA mounts and I have LOTS of flex.

I am not sure that I understand?
I agree that I would prefer to put them on the axle end but did not think that I could make them work on the axle end of the UCA's? Would the 2" work there?

You have custom CA's? All of your JJ's are on the axle ends and stock rubber on the frame ends? You think the JJ's in the UCA's is well worth it?

Thanks for your experience,
Michael

2xtreme said:
I am in the process of building my own control arms. They will be similar to the RE super flex control arms.

My intent was to use JJ's on the axle end of the LCA's and JJ's on the frame end of the UCA's.

My questions are this:
Will the JJ's on the upper control arms add any significant flex?
Will the UCA pockets have enough room for the flex that the JJ's alows?
Anyone done this before?
Any other concerns?

Thanks,
Michael

well - im running 5.5" front end lift and short arms. After putting my RE adjustable upper arms with their SF joint on the frame end - my ride quality increased a ton. Even with short arms - it made a huge difference. Also my rig flex's better now - so i tink that the JJ on the upper arm would help you as well.

question - why whould you want the jj on the axle end and not the frame end? (just for my own education)

XJ_ranger said:
question - why whould you want the jj on the axle end and not the frame end? (just for my own education)

Thanks for the info that really helps. I was not aware that they made adj UCA's with JJ's in them? Thanks,

The reason that I would prefer the JJ on the axle end is because it puts the rubber isolating bushing on the frame end providing more vibration isolation. It also puts the JJ closer to the twist in the axle rather than on the other end of the control arms. In reality small differences but worth doing if it is just as easy either way.

Thanks, again.
Michael

Dont forget the axle also moves sideways,so arms with flex joints at both ends will releive the stress at all the axle/frame mounting points!It gets worse with lift unless you relocate the trackbar.

2xtreme said:
I was not aware that they made adj UCA's with JJ's in them?
well, RE has a "superflex" spherical bearing that is basicaly the same as a JJ. I have their superflex joint and the stock axle side bushing.

Thanks guys. I will continue what I was originally planning. And build the UCA and LCA's with the JJ's on one end and the stock bushings on the other.

Thanks for the input.
Michael

the only reason to not use JJ or REs version on both ends is to isolate the road noises and bumps from the frame more. If that isn't a concern then put them on both ends for more flex without binding. If you aren't running much of a lift then its not so important.

I would also add that JJs are going to have the same comfort level as a poly bushing. That's all they really are, except they have the ball in the middle so they can missalign. It's the best of both worlds
I could be wrong, but I believe Superflexes use a more dense plastic and that's why they wear and would be potentially less comfortable. But I've never seen one on the bench to see. Maybe someone who's seen both could confirm/deny that.

Back