• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Riddle me this Batman---vibration issue

jccj7

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I need help proving my theory about my '97 XJ weird vibration problem.

I got a 2-5 second small vibration in my XJ when I drive it between 42-44 MPH and 52-54 MPH (close approx). It's a mild vibration in both slight sound and feel through the sterring wheel. The vibration is suttle and probably not noticeable to most, but I know it's there and can't figure it out.

IT is a new vibration which started after rotating my tires, doing my breaks, replacing the bearings (professionally installed), and changing my gear box.

My theory is that my tires are out of balance. What do you think?

JC

Tires could be cupped some. You may be hearing noise from irregular wear. It should go away after you get some miles on the new rotation. My opinion

I have a set of allterrains that are terrible about giving vibration. They will get out of ballance overnight. I have been driving down the road about 40mph and felt something funny going on in the rear. When I took a look in the mirror the rear tire was jumping in and out. Luckily the c-clip held in there, and after a ballance job I was good again for a while. The second time I had it do that I didn't balance the tires till it did it a couple of times. After the balance it was good to go.

If it is more noise then I would say irregular wear.
If you really feel it I would say it's ballance.

Is the jeep lifted? If it is I have had a little issue before with vibration at about the same speeds. One time it was the tires the other time I had to change the angle of my rear driveshaft, I hope this info can help in some way.

Yes it is lifted with a Tera-Flex kit. I'm running 32" MT/Rs and also have a Tom Woods SYE on the transfer case.

I've own Jeep afor about 6 months and never noticed a vibration until I performed those maintenance items and rotated the tires.

Back