• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank pulley/Front main bearing help

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Alright Ive had an annoying squeak/whine/rubbing sound for like 3 months now. First I sprayed WD40 on my Idlers (non ac XJ) and that shut it up so I pressed new bearings in them. That took care of it for about a day then its back. So I went out today again and played around and listened and narrowed it down to the crank pulley I put a piece of hose right next to it and BINGO. I have a 5 spd so when I push in the clutch the noise just about goes away but its still there screaming, then when I release it its back like normal. Normaly begins around 1 min after startup. So Im thinking front main bearing? or could the pulley be rubbing the front of the engine. When I look at it while its running it looks like its wobbling but its not loose so what do think? What are the symptoms of a bad front main bearing? Or am I overlooking something

1988 XJ 4.0L Non AC 5spd (Peugot) 222,000 miles

TORX :repair:

The front main bearing is inside the engine and is NOT the thrust bearing, so if it were bad it should not be affected by clutch engagement.

If the pulley is wobbling, you need to replace the harmonic damper.

TORX said:
Alright Ive had an annoying squeak/whine/rubbing sound for like 3 months now. First I sprayed WD40 on my Idlers (non ac XJ) and that shut it up so I pressed new bearings in them. That took care of it for about a day then its back. So I went out today again and played around and listened and narrowed it down to the crank pulley I put a piece of hose right next to it and BINGO. I have a 5 spd so when I push in the clutch the noise just about goes away but its still there screaming, then when I release it its back like normal. Normaly begins around 1 min after startup. So Im thinking front main bearing? or could the pulley be rubbing the front of the engine. When I look at it while its running it looks like its wobbling but its not loose so what do think? What are the symptoms of a bad front main bearing? Or am I overlooking something

1988 XJ 4.0L Non AC 5spd (Peugot) 222,000 miles

TORX :repair:

Yeah, your harmonic balancer/pulley is shot and banging into the timing cover. When you press on the clutch the force is applied to the flywheel and transmitted to the crankshaft which moves slightly forward.

You need to replace it. Break the crank bolt loose with the starter and if you can figure that one out, the rest should go well.

TORX said:
Either way its getting replaced so thats fine but whats making that sound? Im geussing its rubbing the block then and would a new one fix it?

TORX

As I said in my post, it's banging into the timing cover. You gotta couple of inches before reaching the block.

Well I replaced my harmonic balancer and front main seal today. I pulled the old HB an there was scarring that was fairly deep into the timing cover

1oq17a

but the new is in an no sound all is good... except for my ps pump is puting out a high pitched squeal constantly now even while going straight :mad: so thats next to try an solve seems like once i fix one problem theres a new one anyways thanks for you help Eagle & XJXJ

TORX

Good news and hang in there TORX. Power steering pumps fail but a common reason is overtightening the engine belt. Buy or borrow a belt tensioner gauge to get the best longevity from the PS pump, water pump, idler pulley & alternator.

You can get it all worked out and then you'll be driving for many, many miles with little trouble from the old 4.0.

Back