• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft removal

camin0127

NAXJA Forum User
howdy...........

my clutch went not too long ago and im in the process of getting ready to remove the tranny/tc to reclutch and such........the issue im writing about is that i know to remove the drive shafts and the rear is no problem........but my front......where it meets up with the tc......in the joint there has these small bolts that are not the same size as the ones on the axel side........they are too small for 8mm........too big for 7mm.........too small for 5/16.......too big for 9/32....one friend said to leave it in there during the work(but hes lazy as sin.....i dunno bout that) am i missing something here cause it seems soo simple........can anyone shed some light?

oh ya its a 94 too

I'm pretty sure I used an 8mm 12-point socket to remve them. However...the bolts I replaced them with are SAE, not metric. I probably have the size on my site somewhere, but can't find it right now.

5/16 and 8 mm are VERY close to the same size. I can't remember which size I used when u pulled my front shaft, but it was the same size as the 4 bolts that hold down the U-joint straps on the axle yoke.

One thing I learned while working at the Jeep dealer over the summer was to use a 6-point socket whenever possible. It reduces the chances of stripping the head.

Back