• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GDI 3 row Radiator capacity

redxj90

NAXJA Forum User
How much does a closed 88 system with a GDI 3 row Radiator hold ? I understand it is more then the 2 row factory. Thanks

get a custom one made or buy the more expensive aluminum radiator for the xj out there (forget manufacturer). GDI quality sucks, yes my XJ stays cool but it took 1-800 radiators three times to get one that wasn't mangled or leaked. There packaging sucks, fitting the radiator with a condensor is a bitch (too thick for brackets) and I have seen many complaints of them leaking from rusty cores. Then, when you want it warrantied, take a guess as to how many it will take again to get a good one. Save yourself the downtime and spend a few more dollars and dont get one made in Mexico.

Oh, i dont know what it holds, sorry.

Pietro said:
get a custom one made or buy the more expensive aluminum radiator for the xj out there (forget manufacturer). GDI quality sucks, yes my XJ stays cool but it took 1-800 radiators three times to get one that wasn't mangled or leaked. There packaging sucks, fitting the radiator with a condensor is a bitch (too thick for brackets) and I have seen many complaints of them leaking from rusty cores. Then, when you want it warrantied, take a guess as to how many it will take again to get a good one. Save yourself the downtime and spend a few more dollars and dont get one made in Mexico.

Oh, i dont know what it holds, sorry.

i don't know what this guy is talking about. i have the GDI and LOVE IT, that and a 180 them man that jeep heat NEVER most never. love it best thing other then the lift i put it. i can remember how much it holds i think it was like 3 gals can't remember. the only thing is with the jeep running at 180 it has no heat coming out of the vents and its been a cold winter, i guess i should put the 210 back in lol

o yah i got mine at auto zone don't deal with that 1800 shit, but auto zone sells them in stock!!! and you don't have to pay shipping

GDI quality has been going down the tubes in the last couple years. I have a GDI 3-row and am happy with it, but I bought i talmost four years ago from 1-800-radiators. For about the last 2-3 years I have heard too many stories like Pietro's with plugged tubes, bad welds, or crushed fins on a new radiator.

Capacity? All the way to the top of the filler neck. ;)

I musta lucked out...

My GDI has been fine...

Although, I did order it thru my local radiator shop and that was about 4 years ago.

Capacity? Sorry don't know... Is that what's determining your purchase?

There's other alternatives to the GDI, I keep hearing good things about DPG Offroad's CSF rads and Modine's 2 and 3 rows

Depends on your budget I guess.

Just trying to get a feel on how much coolant to buy. I'm refilling with new coolant and distilled water. Yep I bought it on-line. Already a done deal. Peitro did you get from the dude in Calliforina. XJ-Armour ? It is closed system so you don't fill it to the neck. There is no neck. Plus you got to burp it.

Nope it was 1-800 ream you. Sorry to drop your company name there Steve.
XJ-Armor is Great , Right ? Cali XJers ! I got 2 in my family from down there.

i got mine by calling the 1-800-radiator number, i dont know what place it came from, they might have different distribution centers across the country. Someone mentioned modine rads. I haven't seen one so i cant comment on how good they are but i wouldn't mess with a gdi EVER again. My truck sat at the shop with the hood up for 3 weeks waiting for a good GDI to come. Then when i got a non bent rad, it wouldn't fit in the mounting brackets with the condensor is, good thing the con came out due to an OBA system anyway, but be aware...

ive had 2 different 88's with gdi's. do yourself the favor now and convert to open cooling system. i did have one warranteed out b/c i bent the filler neck. beware, the new gdi's have PLASTIC side tanks. my first two had metal sides. not sure how i feel about the plas-tique, but its working and stayin cool for now.

I've used 2 GDI's (daughter crushed on with a tree/fence) and had no problems with either. second one was easier to install as the entire front end was off. :laugh3: I didn't measure the difference in amounts but I seem to remember having some left over after having picked up 3 gals. Also mine is on a 1993.

Sarge

diabloxj said:
look to stop from getting bent shit go to your auto zone and buy one save on shipping!! here is the site to prove it

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=loadPage

AND when you bend it up( maybe the filler neck and the hood latch come into contact and the cap wont seal properly);) or put a stick through it on the trail, you simply take it back to autozone and get a new one ala Lifetime warranty.

autozone warranties combined wit their employees overwhelming apathy is the best thing ever. i once went through like 4 alternators on my DD with a sound-system drawing on it constantly, all for the price of a single alternator. i had that change down to like 10 min...

Yah - go with the Modine. I've got two running now, and I recommend them all the time. I get them from an outfit here in Santa Clara (Radiatorland, now Autoland - great guys!) and I've never had any trouble with them or the radiators. It's amazing just how many people I send there...

I'm just strange - I like to deal with local shops and try to keep my money working locally when I can - I usually seem to come out ahead that way (like my 200A Delco CS-130 for $60... Find good local guys and develop a relationship - it's worth the bucks!)

5-90

Back