• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cutting pinch welds

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
Finally bought some steel for rocker guards for my MJ. My question is, can i cut the pinch welds so the rail will set higher (i am making them solely out of 2x2) or will I lose some structural stability? Also, anyone know off hand how long my bolts will need to be to get through the "frame" thanks in advance. David

i'm not sure i have not done it yet but what i have read don't cut the pinch welds. use them. cut the old welds out and weld the 2x2 to the pinch weld. that way its a part of the jeep.

www.madxj.com has a great right up 3 diff ways of doing it.

TrailHunter said:
I'm assuming you just want to cut a notch out of the pinch seam so the legs to the frame aren't what's keeping your sliders from being flush with the rocker panel. If that's the case, a couple notches will not hurt the structure.

Boxing the rockers is a cool mod though!
You are correct. I would box the rockers, but time is tight, and this will be a lot quicker.

davidt said:
Finally bought some steel for rocker guards for my MJ. My question is, can i cut the pinch welds so the rail will set higher (i am making them solely out of 2x2) or will I lose some structural stability? Also, anyone know off hand how long my bolts will need to be to get through the "frame" thanks in advance. David

Don't run bolts with no backing plates through the "frame". Over time it can crush the frame down.

There is a guy over our way who has a real nice Cherokee, he owns a shop called Skinny Pedal Performance. I saw his XJ at the 4WD Nationals in Bloomsburg this year and he did what you're planning. Check out his webpage skinnypedalperformance.com

What are you gonna do under the bed? There is like a foot of rocker there. I was gonna make some soon and just connect the bed and the cab. Just thought I would see if thats what everyone else w/ rocker guards on a MJ does.

I am going to shorten the wheel base and tube the bed. for right now, I am just going to go about a foot past the cab with the rail. I will post some pics when I am done

Timmay said:
Here's a link to my thread on my rockrails over on Jeepin.com. I used 1.5x1.5x3/16 tube for my frame tie ins, and the pinch seam is notched for them. I also notched the 1.5 sq. tube for the angle iron. They are as high clearance as you can possibly get without cutting the rocker out.

http://jeepin.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=004264#000000
Man those look smokin'. A couple questions for you, what does it mean to "sleeve" the bolts? Have you used a high lift on it yet? If so, how does it hold up having only 2 rails that connect to the frame, would you recommend 3 or 4? Thanks for your input. David

PAXJ said:
Don't run bolts with no backing plates through the "frame". Over time it can crush the frame down.
They will still could do that even with backing plates. Your best bet would be to sleeve them (that's what I did) and you'll be all set.

Anyone have pics of them sleeving the bolts? Like the parts and how it's all measured and assembled? Even if it's not for frame rails, I'd just like to see how everyone else does it for future reference. THX!

nhrocker said:
Anyone have pics of them sleeving the bolts? Like the parts and how it's all measured and assembled? Even if it's not for frame rails, I'd just like to see how everyone else does it for future reference. THX!
Don't have pictures, but it's simple. Find a bolt that you want to use, then find a piece of tube that fits that bolt. Drill all the way through the frame rails holes as though you were mounting the rails to the framerail. Now you ahve 2 choices:
1. enlarge both holes so that the sleeve goes all the way through (and grind it down so that it doesn't stick out on either side and it's flush)
2. enlarge only one hole and insert the sleeve and grind it down (if needed) so that it doesn't stick out (install is slightly trickier as you can't let the sleeve fall in: to prevent that you can tack weld them as you use another bolt to support them from the other side.

HTH

nhrocker said:
So it doesn't need to be welded in place? And how thick of a tubing would you suggest, the thickest possible?
I think what I ended up using was 1/8". It was the only tubing in that size (I.D.) that Home Depot carried.

In regards to the welding: it doesn't have to be welded, but you have to be careful when you install and remove the rock rails as not to drop the tubes into the framerail.

davidt said:
Man those look smokin'. A couple questions for you, what does it mean to "sleeve" the bolts? Have you used a high lift on it yet? If so, how does it hold up having only 2 rails that connect to the frame, would you recommend 3 or 4? Thanks for your input. David

Running 2 frame tie ins is more than enough. My brother Deke runs 3 to the frame and ours are equal in strength IMO. I have highlifted on them and they do not flex at all. :wave:

Timmay said:
Running 2 frame tie ins is more than enough. My brother Deke runs 3 to the frame and ours are equal in strength IMO. I have highlifted on them and they do not flex at all. :wave:

I'd like to see you land on them real hard :D

Timmay said:

OK, it all depends on how you tie into the frame rail, how you tie into the pinch seam and how you're going to be using it and the material used. The blanket statemetn that 2 frame rail tie ins is more than enough is kind of misleading (btw it implies that one would be enough which is definately questionable)

Kejtar said:
OK, it all depends on how you tie into the frame rail, how you tie into the pinch seam and how you're going to be using it and the material used. The blanket statemetn that 2 frame rail tie ins is more than enough is kind of misleading (btw it implies that one would be enough which is definately questionable)
I have landed on them real hard and they are still good as new, minus some paint. I see what you mean about the misleading statement, but all the frame tie in's do is prevent the rockrail from twisting at the pinch seam up into the rocker. There are 12 5/16" bolts per side in shear holding these things to the pinch seam. Me saying that my two 1.5x1.5x3/16" tie ins are more than enough wasnt necesserily meaning that one would be enough, but I have seen some 1x1x1/8 tie ins that hold up great. It all depends. I just know that my rails and the ones I have built for people will be holding up to all but the most extreme trails... IE - landing on the rockrail on the jeep's side from 6 feet up.

Back