• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

body on chassis?

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
... hopefully I spelt chassis correctly. Ive seen a few XJs that have been converted to body on chassis. my question is how is this done? where do the mounts attach to the chreokee body and what chassis is used. Ive heard of some sort of chevy chassis being used. Im just curious about this. If anyone has any info on this conversion Im really interested in this. Thanks

you are what you eat.

An XJ on a blazer chassis is a blazer. The chassis and drive train dictate the resulting performance, not the body. You loose the important attributes of the XJ when you mount it on another chassis. Light weight comes to mind.

Aparently you guys didnt like this post. I first get called a redneck.. of course I could have missenturpreted that. Then somoeone tries to tell me what an XJ is. Did i ask what makes an XJ an XJ? No, and anyway that can be debated. What about XJs with engine swaps and swaped transmissions transfer cases and axles. what about jeeps with long arms and coil conversions. does that take them out of the XJ catagory? I dont see how puting a chevy chassis under an XJ body makes it less of an XJ. Especialy if you modify it so that the jeep parts can fit. Like the engine and whatever part you feel is adiquate to go back on to a highly modified XJ like that. I just want to know whats involved. if that somehow makes me a redneck, and if this conversion/modification, whatever you want to call it, would void the vehicle of the jeep cherokee title i dont care. I still think its a cool idea and am still interested in it.

I think the redneck comment was just cause most of the time when you see stuff like that its just a quick hack job.

And if your going to use the XJ drivetrain and motor then why put in a frame? Sounds like alot of work for nothing?

Frames do have their advantages I guess but I figure just start out with a body on frame suv then.

There's a guy up the road with a Corvair on a Ford chassis.

He has one tooth, lives in an old school bus and goes by the name "Shakey".

You be the judge......

CRASH

There was a big thread on the ORC forum about this. There was a guy named Butcher there who was fabbing a frame to put under the XJ. If I remember right, the jist was that he wanted it to be built like a tank and handle rockwell axles. I tried to find the thread, but the search wasn't working.

94XJ4x4 said:
Aparently you guys didnt like this post. I first get called a redneck.. of course I could have missenturpreted that. Then somoeone tries to tell me what an XJ is. Did i ask what makes an XJ an XJ? No, and anyway that can be debated. What about XJs with engine swaps and swaped transmissions transfer cases and axles. what about jeeps with long arms and coil conversions. does that take them out of the XJ catagory? I dont see how puting a chevy chassis under an XJ body makes it less of an XJ. Especialy if you modify it so that the jeep parts can fit. Like the engine and whatever part you feel is adiquate to go back on to a highly modified XJ like that. I just want to know whats involved. if that somehow makes me a redneck, and if this conversion/modification, whatever you want to call it, would void the vehicle of the jeep cherokee title i dont care. I still think its a cool idea and am still interested in it.

Ya know, I read this, and I thought to myself, "This dude is some highschool punk" and sure enough, you are.

You asked for thought, and people gave them.

Drop the "I'm 17 and a badass" attitude and listen to some folks that have been around the block.

If you really want a frame, then you have the wrong vehicle. I'm sure mommy and Daddy will by you a new Wrangler X if you ask nicely.

[kip]Peace out[/kip]

Fergie

Check out 4 wheel drive and sport ute mag, March addition, 2005, page 44 "Creepers". That XJ there is on a full home built sub frame, very nicely done. That mag has Ashman in it too, and one of our local favorites, C-ROK!! Nicely done dudes...

Greddy

I was just interested in the idea. Im not going to convert my xj. and by the way fergie i never said i was badass and i work and pay for my own shit so fuck off. I worked construction all last summer full time to aford my lift wheels and tires. I do all the work i can myself. The only thing i havnt done myself is the alignment after the lift and the balance because the ballanceing machine i had acess to wasnt up to the challenge. I try to act in a good manor to show that all high school students arnt stupid and overly XXXXy... although I'm not doing a very good job here i confess but this is my first bad post. not that that is an acuse. But i always try to help people out and try not to call anyone stupid or XXXXy or whatever for asking a question about an idea i dont agree with or anything like that... but whatever, thanks to whoever took me seriously.

94XJ4x4 said:
...and by the way fergie i never said i was badass and i work and pay for my own shit so fuck off. I worked construction all last summer full time to aford my lift wheels and tires....I try to act in a good manor to show that all high school students arnt stupid and overly XXXXy...

I really feel a great deal of pity for you, you little twat. You worked full time last summer? Man, thats gotta be tough. Did you ever try working YEAR ROUND, and taking a full load of college courses? Did you pay rent, car insurance, health insurance, food, cell, cable, internet, tuition, and the list goes on?

I'm lucky that I don't have any kids to be responsible for yet, just me and my wife. You need to realize you are still a boy. Take the chances you have now to have your parents pay for things still, and BE A KID! Be an adult when you need to, but not now, no one thinks less of you.

Fergie

Back