• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing the rear bumper of a 2001 Cherokee

mweed21

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of removing my rear bumper of my 2001 Cherokee. I was able to remove the bottom two bolts very easly and remove the screws that are attaching the bumper ends to the bumper. How do you get the final 2 bolts off? I tried using a wrench but don't have the right angle. I tried using a 15 mm socket but it's not deep enough and the deep socked won't fit. I'm stuck...

mweed21 said:
So its easier to take off the 8 bolts that are attached to the body rather than the 4 that mount the bumper to the mounts.
MUCH easier

I remove my rear bumper all the time to repaint it...get scratched up off roading...I take off end caps...look insince you'll see the nuts...get a small 3/8 inch ratchet and the right size socked and just stick your hand inside and ratchet the nuts off...it's just that easy...

JOHN4WD said:
I remove my rear bumper all the time to repaint it...get scratched up off roading...I take off end caps...look insince you'll see the nuts...get a small 3/8 inch ratchet and the right size socked and just stick your hand inside and ratchet the nuts off...it's just that easy...

I tried to reach in and get the bumper itself off but i need to use a deep socket (15 mm) and it doesnt fit.... did you cut down the screw size once you got the bumper off initially?

Eagle said:
MUCH easier

I tried to get to the body mounts but the shackles seem to be in the way. Plus i have to use a deep socket since the screws are long. Do you have any trouble working around the shackles and the gas tank?

I got ticked off at mine and could not get the two top ones off that are inside. Finally after leaving some chunks of meat out of my hand and wrist I drilled two holes, stuck a deep socket on there and put an extension thru the hole and used a ratchet from the outside. When done I used two black plastic plugs to cover the holes. Worked good enough that I drilled two more holes to get at all 4 of them. The bumper is black and so were the plugs, unless you looked close you would never notice them. That worked for a couple of years then I put a tomken rear bumper on. Now I can take it off with either a box or open end. No more blood...

I just took off bumper cap and took a craftman 3/8 inch ratchet and a 13/16th socket (Non Deep well) and just removed the nut...And it worked fine...That's how I remove my rear bumper...A lot easier than removing brackets...Unless your repalcing it with an after market bumper and if it requires different brackets...Then I guess you don't have a choice but remove the brackets and install new ones...Have a good one...

John4wd...

Back