• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build up advice.

woodnjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok folks, here goes.
I'm fairly new here but I've already gotten a lot of good advice.
I've got an 86 XJ (wagoneer).
It originally came with the 2.8 V6 (ok ok I know, but i was young and ignorant. And I think alchohol was involved.)
Since then I've installed a 3.4 GM Performance crate motor.
I've had the 904 auto trans rebuilt, and it has a 3.5 rubicon express lift thats about 4 years old.
And I've installed a Rusty's adjustable trac bar. And I'm running 31's on white wagon rims(goes nice with the woodgrain.)

So here's my delimma. I'm getting ready to lose one of my jeeps and "woodie" will now become my primary trail rig. I'm looking for advice as to how I should proceed fixing him up for the trail but still allow me to use as a daily driver. Axles are my biggest concern. I have the stock 35 and 30 with no upgrades.
I have a clean slate to work with but I still have to be budget minded.
Any advice is welcome and look forward to getting it.

How high do you want to go?

If you looking into a 6" lift. Which is pretty much the going size these days. Look at RE Extreme Duty. You can piece it together. I run this set up, and it might help you...4.5" RE coils, 1.75" RE Spacer, islolater. This gives me 6.5". Rusty's Adjustable control arms upper and lowers, Rusty's Trac Bar and Drop Mount. JKS Quick Discos. ORGS lower bump stop. In the rear I have RE 4.5" leaf springs...they sit at 6.5", a ORGS shackle (maybe a 1/4") just much stronger than stock. Shocks are hoop top and bottom. Front are 28.5" extended and rear at 26.5" extended. Rides great on the highway and flexes great off road. Good luck

There's enough stuff out there these days to make both the 30 and 35 live with much bigger tires. That said, I'm still a huge fan of the 8.8 for the rear swap. 95+ explorer is the one to get. For the front, the 30 holds up really well. I never broke it on 35s even with the 260 joints. Long term, I would've thrown in x760 joints or maybe even the all-out CTM/Warn (or superior) combo. Then I'd look into one of those kits that replace the passenger side knuckle. I may never have broken the 30, but I tore up steering stuff routinely. The replacement knuckles allow a T-style steering conversion. The Rusty's kit that offers T-style steering is crap. don't bother with it.

Other than that, no one is touching RE these days for quality and completeness in the XJ realm. Their lift kits are really nice. RE 5.5" lift, a bit of trimming, 35s, locked 8.8 rear, beefed and locked 30 front and there won't be many trails you can't conquer.

"Other than that, no one is touching RE these days for quality and completeness in the XJ realm".

I would have to argue that point, guess you've never chaecked out ORGS's package. Granted RE's got some nice pieces, but then there are pieces like RE's disconnects, etc. that leave a LOT to be desired.

Not slammin' RE, but there are others that do in fact touch them (if not surpass them). :)

I'll concede that. I don't have any experience with ORGS's stuff. Of the ones I've personally seen (rockkrawler, skyjacker, rusty's, tomken), they're all either incomplete in comparison, of poor design or poor construction. I will say that ORGS's site is SEVERELY lacking in details about their own kits.

I also have zero experience with any disconnects. I prefer to store all my swaybars in the nearest dumpster.

Ted Z said:
I live in Warren @ 13 Mile & Schoenherr.... Where in Sterling Heights are you?

15 and Ryan. At Nelson Park. Are you a member in any of the local clubs?

Cresso said:
I also have zero experience with any disconnects. I prefer to store all my swaybars in the nearest dumpster.

I haven't had mine hooked since I got tired of hearing my RE disconnects clank and pop.

The disconnects are the only thing that I was dissappointed in from RE.

Back