• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grating noise from brakes

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting a grating sound from my front discs. Is this just the pads, or do the rotors need replacing. I plan on swapping for slotted rotors up front soon, but want to delay if possible ($160/pair). I've seen mechanics before just take a dremel to the pads to clean them (not grinding just a surface "buffing") and that got rid of the noise. Advice? I need to figure this quick and as cheap as is safely possible. We're driving out to Bullhead AZ this weekend to see the wife's grandma and have a couple other trips planned for the near future as well...

TIA

Grinding means the pads are gone. You might save the rotor(s) if you replace the pads like today. Throw a pep boys rotor on there if you scored one. No big deal.

Cool, thanks!

Any recommendations on pads then cuz I just replaced these not too long ago. Ok, maybe 4 months. They were just the cheapest ones my wife could find at CarQuest.

That might be the same problem I had, Justin. But there are a couple of possibilities.

I had this awful squealing noise coming from my front brakes even though they weren't all that old. Finally took the pads off and found that in one spot the braking material was flaking off and the small shavings were causing the squeal. Cheap pads... I replaced them with the 2nd highest Raybestos pad (didn't want the ceramic ones) for about $40/set.

But is yours squealing or grinding? Do you hear the noise when you're on or off the brakes? Does the noise go away if you lightly touch the brake pedal? Is the noise worse when turning? Could be your front hub/wheel bearing assemblies.

Try metallic compound pads if you don't want the cost of ceramic. They can make a dust mess, but it's a Jeep, so why worry about dirt?

I've had trouble with cheap organic pads flaking, or tiny shards of steel embedding in them and then scratching a groove in the rotor face.

Front brakes do a lot of work, so they're worth a little more.

Back