• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bearing question

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
hello everyone, im installing a detriot in my d35, and was wondering when i put the new bearings on do i also have to use a new bearing race? it only has 35K on it. also, whats the best way to figure out how many shims i need to set the backlash? i took the bearings off the old carrier, and there were no shims, so i dont really know where to start or if i need any. i also found this bearing splitter, would it be able to take the bearings off without damaging them? thanks for your help.

Yes you should use the new races,why wouldn't you, it still requires the same amount of set-up(and 35k is alot of miles).You will have to shim based on your pattern and measured backlash!Naxja already answered the question re: the puller!

etaniyani said:
hello everyone, im installing a detriot in my d35, and was wondering when i put the new bearings on do i also have to use a new bearing race? it only has 35K on it. also, whats the best way to figure out how many shims i need to set the backlash? i took the bearings off the old carrier, and there were no shims, so i dont really know where to start or if i need any. i also found this bearing splitter, would it be able to take the bearings off without damaging them? thanks for your help.

The bearing is just as important as a race because they both rely on each other. I'd replace the races with the bearings just to be safe. There's no sense on running new bearings with older races. It'll probably just shorten the life of the new bearings your putting in. Unless the races look perfectly unworn! Still I'd replace them. If you're careful you can remove the carrier bearings with a splitter. Sometimes it's very difficult if you don't have access to a press/puller though. The shims will be either outside of the carrier bearing races, or between the bearing and the seat on the carrier itself. The shims are used to obtain the correct carrier bearing preload (very important!) and backlash. You will have to experiment with them to get the carrier/ring gear positioned correctly with the pinion. If you're not sure what to do you better do some research! Incorrectly setup gears will most likely fail. It's not rocket science, but you need to know what to pay special attention to! Go here and click on Yukon installation. Good Luck:) http://www.ringpinion.com/content/technicalhelp/default.asp?pid=69

FUNKYTEE5

Agreed! Replace the race with the bearing. It's a small cost to know that everything's new.

thanks all. i just realized the timken bearings im buying come the races. im also picking up a bearing splitter from harbor frieght and was wondering if it would be able to remove the bearings without damaging them so i can set the backlash. i already made a bearing press so that end is fine. i just dont know where to start with the shims because the old carrier didn't have any shims when the bearings were pulled off. should i just try pressing the bearings on without any shims and see if the backlash is set correctly? here is the bearing seperator, has any had experience with it being able to take the bearings off without breaking them? thanks

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3979

etaniyani said:
thanks all. i just realized the timken bearings im buying come the races. im also picking up a bearing splitter from harbor frieght and was wondering if it would be able to remove the bearings without damaging them so i can set the backlash. i already made a bearing press so that end is fine. i just dont know where to start with the shims because the old carrier didn't have any shims when the bearings were pulled off. should i just try pressing the bearings on without any shims and see if the backlash is set correctly? here is the bearing seperator, has any had experience with it being able to take the bearings off without breaking them? thanks

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3979

You can remove them but be careful that the splitter doesn't contact the rollers or the cage. If there is not any shims behind the bearings, they are harder to get off with a splitter. Was there any shims on the outside of the carrier bearing races where they contact the end of the axle tube? If you're sure that there was no shims and everything was setup right when it came out, then I'd say start there. I've never seen a axle like that without carrier shims though!

Back