• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pedal squeal after car wash

XJFREK

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I've searched the threads to no avail, so here goes. I finally washed the Jeep today, it finally got above freezing in Indianapolis. On the way home I noticed that every time I applied the brakes, a high pitched squealing noise like air leaking from a balloon or steam from a tea kettle could be heard and it appeared to be coming from under the dash. It stopped when I took my foot off the brake. When I arrived home and shut off the engine, I took my foot off the brake and it did it again, very slowly as the pedal returned. I haven't done the booster test yet, and I have had a hiss for some time although it's not very noticable. A few hours later I started it up and the noise was gone, drove it around the block and braking seemed normal. It's a 94, had the wheel cylinder and master cylinder replaced last year, but not the booster. From what I've read, I'm thinking that's what the problem is, but I wondered if anyone has ever had anything like this happen before. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. TIA...

Usually i get this noise right after i wash the jeep and it goes away after a few brakes. My point is maybe the lower temps make it last longer but i am guessing it should go away soon...

pete

Back