• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow hook brackets

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of two hooks that I want to use, but need to get proper brackets for them to put them on the front, but as well, price is a large concern.
Anyone know of a place? preferably north of the border if possible?

TIA

The kit has been discontinued by the factory. Some dealers might still have the brackets, but that's a long shot.

The two aftermarket sources are Custom 4x4 Fabrication, and Rusty's Off-Road. Both sell the kit for about $75 (U.S.). Sorry, I don't know of any company in Canada that makes them or stocks them.

I was afraid of that. Might try my dealership just for the hell of it though. My biggest worry is if it'll fit correctly or not, due to the fact the front had to be rebuilt and is a bit out of whack underneath [my bro hit a lexus] We the bumper on ok, but not sure how anything else will line up for sure. Just would hate to spend what would be more than likely $125+ if it won't work.

Tried the wreckers, but haven't had any luck at all. I pulled my hooks off a grand cherokee, but didn't bother with the brackets as they're totally different, and doubt I could adapt them at all.

Are there any other ways beside the brackets to safely and securely put them on the front?

I'm getting a front drawtite reciever...there better than hidden hitch front recievers...There like $104.00 from drawtite-hitches.com plus 13 bucks shipping...and can handle up to a 9000 Lbs front winch on a receiver cradle and the cradle can be bought on JCwhitney.com...and be used to bike racks and those racks that slid inot a receiver...I got a factory rear receiver and use that as a pull point...With one of those Warn recover D shackle for receiver...For me it's clear a front receiver is the way to go...

John4wd

The front hitch from draw-tite looks really nice. How hard are they to put on? what tools are required? Shipping looks not to bad so I guess they ship to Canada, from Canada.

JOHN4WD said:
Here is a site that shows how to install drawtite hitch and what it will look like on an XJ...
http://www.jeep-tech-tips.com/front-hitch-install.html
Looks to me like he did it wrong. It appears that he put the square reinforcing plates on the underside of the frame ears, between the frame and the hitch. They are supposed to go on top, to prevent the bolt head from tearing through the relatively thin metal of the "frame" rails.

Check out the last pictures in the write-up, the one just before he applied the black paint.

Ooooooh, he's right!

No I don't think he's right...look at pictures (up higher on page) with the plate with the square hole in it for the carrage bolt laying on the ground with red line...it's about 1/8 inch thick...now look at the picture without it being painted look how thick it is...Looks like almost 1/2 inch thick...It looks like a spacer to make receiver point alittle straight forward...maybe it tilted upwards to much to his liking and he added the spacer...Or the spacer might have come with the receiver...Look at it and you tell me I'm not seeing what I'm seeing...That's not the reinforcing plate looks like a spacer...

John4wd

I have a set of the Custom 4x4 brackets, the work very well. they anchor in three places longitudinally along the framerail just like the factory brackets and they are very strong. They cost a bit, but the install is pretty easy. One snag, the hooks that C4x4 ships are a bit short and rub against the airdam a bit on my 2000, but if you have the hooks from a ZJ they are likely to be longer and will work nicely.

JohnnysXJ said:
I have a set of the Custom 4x4 brackets, the work very well. they anchor in three places longitudinally along the framerail just like the factory brackets and they are very strong. They cost a bit, but the install is pretty easy. One snag, the hooks that C4x4 ships are a bit short and rub against the airdam a bit on my 2000, but if you have the hooks from a ZJ they are likely to be longer and will work nicely.

Yes, they're from a '96 Grand. Actually took a better look at it today. It seems to it's own bracket system that it uses which is think steel, and bolts on both frame rail, much like the hitch does. I wonder if it's the same width that it could be used safely.

I run Rusty's and also have a banged front end. It could be more difficult to mount the receiver hitch plate since the tolerances are smaller. The tow hook brackets are separate pieces so you do not get dependant on having straight and parallell 'rails'. The brackets mount between the frame 'rails' and the bumper bracket. The mounting is really simple. You just need a socket and a wrench. I've seen brackets on ebay, but they seem to go for about 70 bucks....

Back