• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doing On Board Air (OBA) what else can I get rid of?

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Hey guys,

I'm doing onboard air on my 93. I know how to hook it but and all that, but that is not what my questions are on. I wanna know what else I can throw out of my engine bay when this is all done?

From what I can tell there is a condenser (thing with the sight window) some other black bottle, a radiator looking thing that is in front of the real radiator, and 2 lines are attached to a silver box on the firewall. I wish I had names of all this for you guys, or pics, which if need be I can get.

I just don't want useless crap taking up space. I would love it if I can just ditch everything that the compressor is attached to, but I'm not sure if this is the case, or if any other Jeeply systems hook up to the AC system.

Thanks!

Todd

That's what I wanted to hear. If I can ditch everything attached to the compressor, I'll be pretty physced. Anyone else wants to chime in please do.

Thanks Brent.

i put two plugs in the "silver Box" and pulled out everything else (i left the compresser) and everything works fine no probs at all just be sure to do somethign with the wire coming from the clutch on the ac i used some shrink tubing on the end to seal it up so when i put my heat in the defrost position it dosnt' spark on something.

bj-666 said:
just be sure to do somethign with the wire coming from the clutch on the ac i used some shrink tubing on the end to seal it up so when i put my heat in the defrost position it dosnt' spark on something.

It wont, it wont even power after the pressure is let out of the system.
Ya know that little pressure sensor on the canister, if that doesnt sense pressure it disables the ac system

just good to know

I wired the connections from that pressure swith switch to my OBA pressure switch so now I can turn the system on using my a/c controls and it automatically turns on the aux fan.
Something you may or may not want to do.

JEONLYEP said:
So if the defrost uses the a/c compressor, than how do XJ's without a/c do defrost?

Daryl

hell if i know. i do know that mine runs off the ac compressor, cause i had to take it out for repair, and did not have defrost for a few days.

the ac works in conjunction with defrost, I did the OBA setup and it still blows on defrost but not cold, which is good since its a pain in theace to have the ac pump on when u need hot defrost

JEONLYEP said:
So if the defrost uses the a/c compressor, than how do XJ's without a/c do defrost?

Daryl

the same as ones that came with AC.

All the AC does is dry out the air, allowing a little faster defrost. Without AC the difference is like 2 seconds.

Thanks guys, can't wait to rid all that crap out, man there is a lot of it. I wanna re-locate the washer bottle as well, so I can mount the pressure switch where it is, haven't quite figured that one out, but I think it may involve a universal coolant bottle, and 2 universal washer pumps (that I can mount remotely) I may even do 3 and get Land Rover headlight squirters (or the ghetto light up ones, but not light em up), haven't figured that out yet. Would be nice to squirt the lights clean with all the frikkin salt we use in NH, I have to clean them every time I put gas in.

Thanks again,

Todd

when removing AC systems I have always left the condenser "a radiator looking thing that is in front of the real radiator" in to help protect the radiator from road debris. it makes a nice little guard and helps alot more than the plastic grill.

the silver box is the expansion device

the thing with the sight glass is the drier/accumulator

good luck

19cherokee92 said:
when removing AC systems I have always left the condenser "a radiator looking thing that is in front of the real radiator" in to help protect the radiator from road debris. it makes a nice little guard and helps alot more than the plastic grill.

the silver box is the expansion device

the thing with the sight glass is the drier/accumulator

good luck

The condenser would also block a decent amount of air flow though don't ya think? I know it works from the factory like that but with all the overheating problems everyone has I figure its a good idea to get rid of it.

I'm going to remove it and get some sort of heavy mesh that isnt' so restricting and attach it to the grill with some reinforcment.

Thread Jacking sort of... what the heck does the little black bottle do that is attached to the 92 XJ's front bumper??? I recall a thread quite a while back discussing this, but cannot find it in a search.

The a/c compressor comes on to keep the glass from breaking on defrost setting in REALLY cold climates. The problem is with snow and ice on the glass the heater will get soooo hot that the glass will actually break. Not to much worry in cali but backeast could be a problem. The a/c tempers the heat so it doesn't get too warm. The little black bottle in the front by the bumper is for vaccum and you need it. You will probably get a check engine light if you disconnect it and/or it will run like crap because the map sensor senses no vaccum.

I 2nd what spanky is gonna do, I'm getting a tranny cooler also, so this will give me plenty of room for that. I'll put some mesh either behind the grill, or in front of the rad to protect it. That ricer mesh crap (but painted black of course) is REALLY cheap on ebay, maybe I'll go with that.

Todd

ryurabbit said:
The a/c compressor comes on to keep the glass from breaking on defrost setting in REALLY cold climates. The problem is with snow and ice on the glass the heater will get soooo hot that the glass will actually break. Not to much worry in cali but backeast could be a problem. The a/c tempers the heat so it doesn't get too warm. The little black bottle in the front by the bumper is for vaccum and you need it. You will probably get a check engine light if you disconnect it and/or it will run like crap because the map sensor senses no vaccum.

What about us that live in the cold north whos A/C system died years ago or have an XJ that never came with one? When you run defrost with your heat selector slider on the full heat setting I'm pretty sure its not going to "temper" the air what ever that means. It just removes the moisture (which there isn't much of in the air during the winter right?)

When there is still snow on the glass your heater hasn't warmed up yet so its not going to crack anything. I guess maybe if it was REALLY FREAKING COLD and you warmed up the engine for a half an hour with the heater off and then got in and blasted the heat it could crack something. But if your not driving the jeep doesn't really warm up all that well at idle.

As for my mesh idea. I'm not sure if that stuff would work that well, it could be too constricting, maybe one size up?

I'm going to run a couple of metal bars top to bottom to hold the mesh too so its not just the plastic grill holding back that branch trying to put a hole in your rad.

Ya, sorry man, that tempering thing is pretty silly, what about the other 80% of cars that don't do the AC? Crack the glass? Are you insinuating that we have different glass that easily cracks compared to say a Mazda, that does not engage the AC?

I HATE the AC Turning on in the defrost position, stupidest thing EVER. If you windsheild is fogging up that bad, clean the fawker, and throw some Rain-X antifog on there.

Todd

Back