• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Steering Wheel

kkongoo

NAXJA Forum User
I have 97 cherokee that has manual windows. and it has cruisse control feature on dash board that never lighted up....steering wheel is plain and I want to have it replaced with 99 sport steering wheel that has cruisse control and other stuff on steering wheel. Would cruisse control work on my 97 jeep cherokee with 99 steering wheel installed?
Is it something I could do myself or need to have a dealer installed?

Thanks,

ooo steering wheel hard to take off need a wheel puller, or i did. my buddy has a 98 xj and he tried and tried to take it off with no luck and it was a little easer cus he didnt have an airbag due to a wreak, but we never got it off. maby someone else know.
and u will need the cc assembly (under the hood) and some other stuff. it might plug it but it also would be alot of trouble. but it could be done.
dont let the airrbag deploy!!

You'll need the rest of the cruise system under the hood but it's all plug and play.
97 was the only year of the different style airbag cover for the steering wheel of non-cruise equipped XJ's (97+). 98+ without cruise all have the 'blanks' all the steering wheel where the cruise switches would go.
I'm pretty sure you can use your existing wheel and just get a new 'w/cruise' air bag cover.
The steering wheel will still have to come off for the new clock spring with cruise.

Manual or auto? You'll never find a cruise set-up for a manual. I've tried for three years to no avail for my 97. Mopar screwed all manual owners by ditching their parts bins on somehting I would think is pretty common. Might have doen it w/auto owners as well.
Never realized it was a diff knock-out for the later models. Good to know.
Goes w/o saying, but watch yourself w/the airbag.

The factory cruise control kits for the 97-98 & 99-01 XJ are listed to work on both the auto & manual trans. One part number for both transmissions.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo&item=7953863397&category=33595

BTW, here's the early style airbag wheel without cruise and what it will look like after cruise is added with the new airbag cover.
The 99+ wheel without cruise just has the blanks on it instead of a different (larger) airbag cover.

xj_steering_wheel_types.jpg

edit> early 98's also used the larger cover without cruise. Mid-year change.

JEEPZZ said:
The factory cruise control kits for the 97-98 & 99-01 XJ are listed to work on both the auto & manual trans. One part number for both transmissions.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo&item=7953863397&category=33595

BTW, here's the early style airbag wheel without cruise and what it will look like after cruise is added with the new airbag cover.
The 99+ wheel without cruise just has the blanks on it instead of a different (larger) airbag cover.

xj_steering_wheel_types.jpg

edit> early 98's also used the larger cover without cruise. Mid-year change.

I have a 99 Sport with the wheel you show in the right with only the blanks.
If I buy the kit, is it possible to use the same wheel and only change the blanks for the switches ??
In other words.....do the wheel with blanks have al the wiring to make the cc switches work ???
Any imput, appreciate

Yes you will use your existing steering wheel and airbag cover on your 99. The CC kit will come with everything else you'll need including the clockspring with the CC wiring that will mount behind the steering wheel. (You'll need to remove the steering wheel to add these parts)

Back