• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my heep was on fire

89Mj

NAXJA Forum User
well i was out wheelin and my temp was gettin a little on the warm side so i turned her off and then she started to smoke so i opend the hood and the wire loom for my injectors was on fire so i put it out with snow (thank god for snow) and still did not see why it had cot on fire the wires were not burnt just the look was crips started it up again and did not see any gas leak or any other reasin for the fire drove it back out of the trails and home no more fire had it out 3 times since and no fire any ideals thanx

I had an 88 4.0 with over 275,000. It had blowby real bad, so there was alot of fuel in the oil. Well the valve cover, and all the grommets leaked oil pretty bad. The wireloom for the injectors had filled up with the oil-gas mixture and poof, it was up in flames. All it takes is for that stuff to get hot enough. I didn't have snow, but dirt works well too :~) I don't know if this is your problem, it just sounded familiar.

It was fuel in the oil, from bad piston rings.

Clean the area in and around your manifolds. The build up of oil and leaf litter ect... could reach it's igition temp when the engine gets very hot. You got lucky. You also leaned the value of a clean motor.
SF

The injectors on pre 91s are prone to leaking at the metal plastic seam. Many an early xj has gone up in flames as a result. They leaks most often when very cold since the split in the seam is more. XXXXXXXXX and a fellow from Finland lost theres a few yrs ago this way. When mine started leaking I replaced one then the other started leaking. My dealer friend tech says when one goes they replace them all. Many re using ford 5.0 19lb rated injectors as a cheap replacement. Fiveomotorsports.com often has them. Greg

Back