• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum Canister - Football Hissing, Leaking?

BrianB

NAXJA Forum User
I did some searches on the football without any luck on what I heard this weekend... '93 XJ

After driving in the rain, shut down back in the garage, I heard what sounded like hissing under the battery, found the canister, moved it a little back and forth and the hissing abruptly stopped.

I am not having any noticeable heater air flow problems, but occasionally I do hear the trap door open, or close, for no reason. Is it normal for the canister to make that noise when it's wet? Is that a sign that it needs to be replaced?

It is not normal to hiss. It should hold vacuum for days. I would check the lines to it before replacing, but definitely it ought to be fixed. Sometimes the mounting feet will break off, leaving a little pinhole.

I bought a used MJ and had a bad vaccume leak that caused ventilation to default to the defrost mode. I found several bad hoses and replacing them didn't fix the problem so I pulled the cannister and found that the previous owner had attempted to use a drill to drive the bolt that holds the cannister down but drilled it right through the cannister. The dealer said it was$47 to replace and would take a week to get so I JB welded it to make sure that would do it and it not only fixed the vent problem the truck runs much better so do a leak test and fix it and it might fix problems you don't realise you have.

Back