• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which kit for 4.5" of lift

PstrKd4BrthCntrll

NAXJA Forum User
After doing some research, I've decided on 4.5" of lift for my Jeep[93 4wd 4.0]. Then I decided to figure out which kit i wanted. I need rear spring pack since my rear main spring is bent :). Came down to these kits:

Rubicon Express 4.5 Super flex w/ rear springs $999.99
-If i were to get this kit I would get it at http://www.redrock4x4.com/shop/products/237.html because thats the best deal I've found. Free shipping and comes with shocks. Would it be wise to spend the extra $90 and get the adjustable control arms?

Rough Country 4.5 w/ rear spring $575 + $50shipping[ebay]

Rustys 4.5 w/ rear spring $669
-May call them to get a price with their adjustable controls arms instead of the fixed.
-Buddys got the 3.5? on his Chero and he likes it.
http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...ys&Product_Code=405K&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

The kits come with most of the same stuff.
2 4.5" Front Coil Springs
2 4.5" Rear Spring Packs[3.5" + shackle for the Rubi]
Front Adjustable Trac Bar
Fixed Lower Control Arms[Upper and lower for the Rubi]
Transfer Case Drop Kit
Brake Line Extension Kit
Front Sway Bar Extensions[Rubicon has disconnects]
4 Shocks

Going with the Rustys or Rough country, I can use the $$$ I saved and get gears and such. I've read mixed opinions about Rustys and Rough Country. BUT if I'm gonna spend the dough, might as well spend it right the first time. Right now the Chero is my DD but I have a back-up car if I have problems I run into while lifting it. I got about $1200 of fun money I can sink into it now. Any opinions/suggestions would be appreicated.
-Matt

I would go RE, but the add you posted doesnt include shocks(that listed under options)!Rusty's is good,Id avoid the RC stuff!Might also want to give Dirk a call,great pices and his hybrid kits sound good.

Last edited:
TRNDRVR said:
RUBICON EXPRESS!!!

RUSTY'S SUCKS!!!

why dont you tell us how you really feel...

back on topic -
If i were to do my lift again, id go all RE the first time. I have dealth with both RE and Rusty's customer service and both are up to par, but RE wanted to work with me and rusty was interested in getting me off the phone...

RE has quality parts (minus the long arm kit) and i will always buy from them given the option of them or someone else.

at 4.5" look into drop brackets - a good idea to make your CA angle work better and about 500 cheaper than long arms...

Yes I am one of the ones that read it all and still bought a RC kit. But so far it all good. And for the Price even better. ($550 delivered). But dont get me wrong I trail ride and do a little hill climing and the occasional mud and water. But nothing hard core. This is my DD.

So I would say decided what you are going to use it for.

92 Laredo
4.5 Full Spring RC
15X8 AR Python Rims
31X10.5 Timberline Tires
Custom Back Rock Bumper

RCP Phx said:
but the add you posted doesnt include shocks(that listed under options)!

the option under the "options" section is for RE monotube shocks, $75 extra. It comes with 4 Doetsch Tech DT3000 Free.

Looking at DRG's stuff, his hybrid kit is based off of RE6030.
RE6030 includes[according to the pic]
re6030kit.jpg

-Spring packs
-coils
-u-bolts
-lower control arms
-Brake lines
-Disconnects
but then he throws in JKS "Quicker" Disconnects, JKS Adjustable Front trackbar, RE1333[.75"] Spacers and RE1550 SS Extended Front Brakelines.

RE6130
RE6130.jpg

Last edited:
I know everyone says that RE is better than rusty's. Though i have the 3 inch rustys and am very satisfied with it, i know a few other people with rustys kits and they are also satisfied with his product. On the other hand, i've dealt with rustys customer service, and they didnt seem that they wanted to help at all...I've heard that RE helps ya out if something is wrong....So i'd say go rustys, then use the extra $$ for other things. But its all up to you

rangerjoe2001 said:
look at the dpg offroad hybrid re kits.. good guy over there "Dirk"..

www.dpgoffroad.com

:lecture: What he said...

in all the different shops I've delt with I think that Dirk has got to be one of the most honest guys I've come across. He said he'd match any one else's price and beat their customer service and he's lived up to that claim time and again...

Any time I have a question about something I want to bolt on to my XJ he's the man I call...

As for RE I'm completely satisfied with their customer service and their products. The only problem I've ever had is on my lower control arm I felt that my bushing wore a little prematurely (like at 5k miles and not even a year) and they wouldn't warranty it...but that's a whole different story...If I had to do it all over again RE is the way I'd go...

Matt

What about the importance of the adjustable arms?? I was wondering the same thing as I will be going 4.5 w/ drop brackets. I assume that with the brackets the castor won't change, but with all I hear about the bracket install being a major PITA theres no way that the non-adjustable arms will keep castor correct. Am I wrong to assume this? Should we go to the adjustables?

I have bought several items from Rusty's (including their 4.5 lift kit) and talked to them on the phone several times. I have no complaints. I have a year of driving and all is well. I would suggest calling each company and ask them all the questions you want and formualting your opinion from the discussion. I am sure RE is a great product! But I save a few buck and I am very satisfied!! :)

One man's opinion.

I have the RE/DPG 5" Hybrid Kit which is the same amount of lift that you get from the 4.5" Super Flex kit. They just call it 5" because RE lifts tend to run higher than advertised. Very pleased with both DPG and RE customer service. I had to call RE about a busted bolt and they sent me out a new bolt, nut, and washers and I had it within a few days.

740330_27.jpg

mdwatkins said:
:lecture: What he said...

in all the different shops I've delt with I think that Dirk has got to be one of the most honest guys I've come across. He said he'd match any one else's price and beat their customer service and he's lived up to that claim time and again...

Any time I have a question about something I want to bolt on to my XJ he's the man I call...

As for RE I'm completely satisfied with their customer service and their products. The only problem I've ever had is on my lower control arm I felt that my bushing wore a little prematurely (like at 5k miles and not even a year) and they wouldn't warranty it...but that's a whole different story...If I had to do it all over again RE is the way I'd go...

Matt

dirk has excellent service.. and always replied to my calls

based on the responces, looks like RE6130 is the way to go... the RE/DPG doesnt seem as complete as the 6130. No shocks, upper control arm, Transfer case drop, shackles,. But the JKS stuff he throws in is pretty nice. So, what I'm thinking about is calling him and see what he can do on the price of a RE6130 or see what he says about the the stuff thats not included in his hybrid kit that is included in the RE6130. That sounds like the best thing to do.

The 5" hybrid kit is what I got from him as well and I have been extremely happy with it. The Quicker disconnects are a nice upgrade, and he throws in adjustable rear bumpstop plates and quick connect link cables. He recommended the OME long travel shocks, so I got them and I'm really pleased with those too. You'll pay a little more than you would with the 4.5 inch kit, but you get drop brackets and braces too... which really improve ride quality.

PstrKd4BrthCntrll said:
based on the responces, looks like RE6130 is the way to go... the RE/DPG doesnt seem as complete as the 6130. No shocks, upper control arm, Transfer case drop, shackles,. But the JKS stuff he throws in is pretty nice. So, what I'm thinking about is calling him and see what he can do on the price of a RE6130 or see what he says about the the stuff thats not included in his hybrid kit that is included in the RE6130. That sounds like the best thing to do.
The parts that Dirk adds are more valuable then the DoestchTek POS shocks. The rear bump stops are worth $80, disco cables $20, JKS discos would probably be a $50 upgrade. Then you can buy the good shocks of your choice.

I think you are looking at the 4" hybrid kit, but you said you wanted 4.5" of lift. You aren't compairing apples to apples here. The RE6030 kit the 4" is based off of is a 3.5" lift kit. You need to look at the 5" Hybrid kit.

Last edited:
Wasnt really looking to spend the $1379 tho. May be worth the price but I'm not looking to spend that kinda bling.... But it does seem like the best route to go. Maybe I should just save up some more and do it right the first time..

Last edited:
Back