• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

magnamount rf noise

Bmxpunk1369

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a uniden 520xl cb and a magnamount k30 antenna on my roof. I ran the wiring straight from the battery, both pos and neg, and the antenna is in the center of my roof. When i start the engine up i get the engine popping that increases with rpms. If the antenna is unplugged or i am running the pa i dont have any rf noise. I was wondering if the magnamount, becuase it isnt grounded, is the problem for the rf noise. Before i go out and buy some capacitors and the hash silencers for the power lines, i was wondering if anyone knew if the magnamount style antenna is typical for this distortion.

If you dont get the noise under pa or when the antenna is disconnected, I wouldnt believe the source of the noise is entering your system thru the power leads, so power line filters prolly wont do anything. It sounds like ignition noise, first is everything in the ignition ok? ie: cap, rotor, wires, plugs all ok? The antenna cable can pick up 'noise', you dont say where it runs, under the hood?, taped with wires under the dash?, try repositioning the antenna, maybe reroute the cable. Mag mounts are conveinent but nothing beats a thru the roof mount! I dont recommend glass mounts either, mine doesnt pick up much of anything - signals included!

been a ham and cb operater for 10 years.either try the standard filters or worse...get a better rig.one with an noise blanker(nb)switch and an anl(automatic noise limiter) switch.30-50 bucks at a swap meet.sorry...i've had it happen alot.different radios have sound great,and some let in all the noise.

Back