• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker plan critique

dmillion

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ Sport, 5-spd, d35 rear, d30 front (duh!), 30" tires, 3.55 gears. Never going to lift it anymore or put any larger tires on it, because it's my wife's daily-driver. But it is still my weekend hunting-camping-snowshoeing-going to the mountains Jeep, so I want some better traction.

I'm thinking OX-locker in the back and Powertrax No-slip in the front. My reasoning is that my wife will never feel any difference in 2WD, and if she happens to put it into 4WD on an icy day the Powertrax won't result in any unusual behavior. But with this combination I should be able to do pretty well off-road.

So, anybody want to offer pros or cons for this plan?

A front locker CAN be tricky in the snow, even a well-behaved one like the No-Slip. She WILL notice it while turning in the snow.
Personally, I'd do it the other way around. Put the OX in front where you can turn it off in the snow. The No-Slip out back will be fine.

Won't a locker in the rear, even the Powertrax, cause it to behave quite a bit differently on icy roads than with an open diff? I don't want that, since my wife drives it.

Maybe I need to get selectable lockers both front and rear, although that is just SOOOO expensive!

with a 5 speed you will feel the locker even more front or rear because the power is direct unlike the slip that a auto has with my aussie up front i get some torque steer and it dosn't like to turn in the snow while going at a decent speed. i still love it cause i can plow into any snow bank and still get out of it no prob. check out the new electric lockers i beleive there a hair cheeper ECTED, EATON are two that come to mind

you got it backwards dmillion. Selectable in the front. I'm thinking tho for what you want it for and cost seems to be a factor you will probably be happy with the rear as limited slip.

P

IMHO
I think your going overkill.
your not going out to do serious rockcrawling. sure a locker would be great but for icy conditions I would suggest a simle set of Truetrac limited slips. your better half will oonly notice better traction with no driving characteristics of a locker. if you need a little more then most will agree that with a little brake pedal action you can get really good control of the TT. I would even go as far as to suggest a clutch type LS in the rear with the TT in the front. the rear TT's aren't as good as the fronts due to the front being biased tighter.

For a daily driver of your type I would run a TrueTrac LSD in the front only. The 2wd behavior will remain the same of course, and 4wd will be enhanced. It will give you the extra traction you desire and your wife won't notice it much at all. If you really want something in the rear go the selectable route(ARB/OX). In the dry a locker has its quirks and is perfectly streetable, but spining both tires in the snow and ice is when scarry things can happen.

Of course the ultimate would be selectables front and rear, my $0.02.

The front locker in the snow is over rated. There was a little bit of snow and some ice this past weekend and I had no problems or scary moments caused by the front locker. The scary moments where caused by me trying to get the locker to cause some scaryness:) It torque steered slightly but nothing outrageous and I have a 4.6L stroker and a 5 speed manual with 4.10s and 32s. There was less than 2" of snow and it sleeted on top of that. As soon as the rear started steping out a little throttle and the front pulled it stright. The only thing that sucked about the front locker was dounts. They where really wide and not that fun. In ice, regardless if you have an open diff or locker, you will slide.

This is my opinion gathered from the setup I have on my XJ. Your results may vary.

AARON

I like the disclaimer

MrShoeBoy said:
This is my opinion gathered from the setup I have on my XJ. Your results may vary.

AARON

If the worst it's going to see is forest trails and snow, why lock the front at all? A rear locker (your choice) will do wonders by itself.

As someone mentioned above, there will be some torque steer. However, you will get used to it very quickly and learn to keep both hands on the wheel.

Fergie

dmillion said:
Okay, well now I'm thinking OX for the rear and a Truetrac for the front. Does that make more sense?

It's splitting hairs, but I would prefer the Truetrac in the rear (where you have an e-brake for bias) and the OX up front (turn it off on tight corner trails).

If you run a front OX and a disconnect D30 you even get the option of a budget 2-Lo (leave the OX and axle disconnect unlocked and run 4-low).

With either front traction enhancement larger u-joint axles is a good choice (using the locker or brake bias can be tough on axle u-joints).

Considering the price of an OX locker, a winch can come in very handy (for the same cost).

My DD (88 4.0/Auto/242) that sees "little" trail use, and occasional snow/ice will be getting the True-Trac front from my MJ. I didn't use 4WD Part Time much on the road with the manual trans MJ, but the few times I did were smooth and worry free - including 500 road miles minus the rear driveshaft.

I am as yet unsure on the rear. I picked up a low-mile hi-# 44 Track Lok carrier, but I sold it off & bought gears to match the front. My frugal hand is liking the TT but the more adventurous one is liking a full Detroit - or possibly an Eaton selectable. Approx $125 increments between the three, starting at approx $350(?)

And like Ed mentions, doing both ends together (even with the lower cost TTs) puts you in winch territory (cost wise) although the winch will probably do little for your wife in her DD travels. Selectables at both ends would be nice though, as they allow more options for varying conditions.

Already got a winch. Just don't want to have to use it so often!

As for the kinds of stuff I drive, I don't go looking for obstacles just to see if I can get stuck, but when I go elk hunting I really HATE to have to turn back from any trail just because I'm not sure I'll get through. At the same time, though, it IS my wife's daily driver.

Maybe an OX in the back will be enough, but my guess is that after I'm done with that I'm going to start thinking something in front would be nice, too.

TrueTrac front and some type of locker(Detroit?) in the rear is what i'm planning, but what do I know, i'm new to this stuff too. A selectable front is cool, but a TT is about $300, a selectable is more than double. I do wish they made an Electac or eLocker for the 8.25 and D30 though, that would give me more to think about.

Has anybody used a Truetrac in a D30 on snow or ice?
How does it behave?
Torqe steer, oversteer, understeer, slipping, any undesirable behavior at all?
I got one in my front, but never had a chance to test it in snow or ice.

Back