• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling Motor

rws

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 1990 MJ with a 3' lift. I now have to to pull the motor in my very cramped garage. How much overhead room do I need?? Can I do this with 7'8" ceiling height?? Thank

I dont know how tall the motor is but if I were you I would air your tires down as low as you can. If thats not enough just grab some little tires off a stock cherokee/comanche/ranger/explorer etc. That might give you a little more room. If thats still not enough just go to the junkyard and get some bent/messed up wheels and run tireless in your garage. That should be enough room for a motor pull.

PS what lift do you have(you can post it on junkyard comanche springs)

The motor is fairly tall, so depending on what tools you are using, might be wise to remove it on a driveway/street so you have all the room you need (this is assuming you dont have a foot of snow to help you ;)).

Have way to much snow outside and temps that can hit -30 or lower. Have thought about the smaller wheel idea but than what about the tranny? I'm beginning to think that I'll have to remove the tranny(ax-15) and tranfer case than put the tiny wheels on to lower it than pull motor. Anybody had to do it this way??

If you're worried about height just pull the header panel and radiator out of the way and pull the assembly out of the now longer space. It's easier that trying to lift everything out with them in the way. As a bonus, you will have a far easier time with putting them back in too.

I'm thinking you're going to be hard pressed to get motor and tranny/t-case out as one piece with or w/o the rad and header removed. That's a long engine and tranny combo for a cherry picker garage pull. If you drop your jeep down too far (rims, aired down etc.) you might run into issues with not having enuff room to drop the transfer case far enuff down for the engine to clear the rad cradle. You might want to look at spliting the engine and tranny...for the number of bolts vs the added headache it might be the better run. Let us know how it works out. I'm considering an engine pull in the relatively near future and have been looking at the same problem.
Good luck!!

kunaji said:
If you're worried about height just pull the header panel and radiator out of the way and pull the assembly out of the now longer space. It's easier that trying to lift everything out with them in the way. As a bonus, you will have a far easier time with putting them back in too.

i would go this route disco the tranny pull it out the bottom then slide it off to the side. then get everythign disco'd on the engine and double and tripple check the open you garage door roll that sucker out and get the engine out of the way then move it back in this way you only have to be cold for a few. or actually try getting it out first with everythign in the warmth

kunaji said:

I second that. that takes about a foot off the height you need to lift the motor.

I like the idea of pulling the header and radiator. Not trying to hijack but while we are discussing pulling engines, I was wondering if I have my jeep on jackstands with the axles and suspention removed if anyone thinks it could be feasable to pull the engine tranny and t-case as one piece by dropping it out the bottom of the jeep :dunno: Has anyone tried this or know of any reason why it won't work? Hijack complete :cheers:

shizza-my-nizza said:
I like the idea of pulling the header and radiator. Not trying to hijack but while we are discussing pulling engines, I was wondering if I have my jeep on jackstands with the axles and suspention removed if anyone thinks it could be feasable to pull the engine tranny and t-case as one piece by dropping it out the bottom of the jeep :dunno: Has anyone tried this or know of any reason why it won't work? Hijack complete :cheers:
when i pulled the motor out of my 92 it came out the top but i know you can get the whole everything tranny t-case engine out the front if you remove the grill and radiator and all that jaz prob be easier than jacking the front of the rig WAY up to get the engine to clear.

Back