• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise with new lift

j33p3r

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ that I recently installed a Rusty's 3" lift with rear spring packs. I also replaced the LCA's with a pair of Rancho LCA's for a 3" lift. I now have a noise coming from the front end, feels like under the driver's floorboard. I checked and torqued everything twice. The only thing I could find was the coil retainer clip on the driver's side seemed loose. I tightened it down and it seemed to help, but after another week's worth of driving, the noise is back. I haven't taken it off road yet, but I feel and hear it when I hit a dip in the road. Any ideas?

Might want to check and see if the LCA's are hitting the sXXXX mounts!I know their older arms are straight and made out of rectangular stock!

Don't know if this will help, but I also noticed considerable "thumping" noise after putting in my Skyjacker 3" lift (new LCA's up front). By experimenting, I discovered a subtle movement of the front axle (front and back movement). Most easily discovered by going slowly in reverse and tapping the brakes...was able to duplicate the thumping this way and see visible axle movement.

I discovered I needed to replace the UCA bushings after the lift...seems the old bushings had worn...and moving to lifted position left them in a position where they didn't hold things firmly in place.

Might be your issue as well.

I do have the older LCA's that are straight so I'll check that tonight and let you know. I checked the bushings and they looked fine. Thanks for the input.

I checked the LCA's and they look fine. They would probably make contact at full extension, but not everyday driving. The noise is intermittent. It usually happens when I go over a dip in the road and it sounds like someone tapping my driver's side floor with a hammer. Steering doesn't feel loose, no wobble, etc. Just a noise and the feeling in the floor. Any ideas????

A friend of mine also has a knocking noise after installing Rusty's LCAs.

I noticed that the Trailmaster lift kit on my MJ, with drop brackets, provided SAE bolts where the factory control arm bolts are metric. There was always a slight amount of slop with an SAE bolt in a metric hole, and I had some noise from the control arms and drop brackets. I wonder if Rusty's arms may be set up for SAE bolts, and the stock bolts don't fit the bores tightly?

Just a guess. I don't have a definitive answer for you.

I have a rusty's 4.5 inch lift with rusty's lower arms and factory upper and have been fighting what sounds to be the same thing for 2 years. It has driven me almost nuts. I thought it was maybe the uca bushungs but after inspection they looked fine, but i didnt replace them. I think i'm gonna try just to see. I do like the other gentlemen's answer about the bolt not being big enough for the lower control arm gonna check that out too. I'll let you know if i come up with anything after this wekend.

Sorry i couldn't help just wanted you to know you wern't alone.

Teraflex did the same thing with the metric/SAE thing. Solved my clunking long arms until the upper arms wore out.

Have you checked the track bar?

My LCA's are from Rancho. My Jeep is low mileage (38k) and everything looked good when I installed the lift. I'll check the bolts on the control arms this weekend, but if memory serves, they were fairly tight going in. What do I need to check on the track bar? Bushings?

doodahman said:
Teraflex did the same thing with the metric/SAE thing. Solved my clunking long arms until the upper arms wore out.

Have you checked the track bar?

Definitely check the trackbar. It took me a day of driving around and climbing under the car to figure this out. If you have an extra set of hands go underneath and put your hand on the trackbar and then have someone shake the front of the car side to side.

May not be the problem but way easier to check than the bushings.

Hope that helps

Update: I checked the trackbar and it seems fine. It only makes the noise at lower speeds. I plan on checking the control arms next, but I think it was making this noise before I replaced them (the day after the lift was installed). Any new ideas?

Re: Get Front and Rear Shocks Pin Eliminators

I had the same problem.
Check into this issue!
Bar Pin Eliminator make a world of difference!

Well, I finally fixed it. First I tried the BPE's and retightening everything. No luck. I installed a new track bar this week and the noise is gone. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Back