• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive train jerks when shifting from foward to reverse

livewire

NAXJA Forum User
I drive an 87 4.0 automatic with the 242 transfer case, a dana 44 rear, and a dana 30 front. After having 4.88 gears and detroit lockers front and rear installed. I now have a hard jerk in the drive train when shifting from foward to reverse while in two wheel drive. Could this be caused by the detroit locker in the front. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

seems pretty standard

mine just about gives me whiplash sometimes

Yep, it's your detroit. My brother's comanche with AW4 and detroit does that too, I'm sure there's a technical explanation for it, but I don't know it.

If you had the book for the detroit in the front page it says in great big letters that they have alot more backlash then regular gears.
Get used to it...Never gets any better.

actually my jeep does that too. its just slack in the drive train. also, it would not be your detroit in the front axle if you are shifting in 2wd.

Yup, get used to it.. when I install someones gears and detroit I have to warn them ahead of time to expect that. just how the detoit works...

5-90 said:
I'd check the u-joints while I was about it, if you haven't replaced them recently. Just grab the shaft on opposite sides of the joint, and try to twist - if you can feel motion, it's time to change the joints...

5-90

x2 Mine has been much better since I did the joints. I too was blown away by the clunk from the detroit.

JaysXJ said:
Since the Jeep is 19 yrs old, could it not be the tranny mounts worn out or dry rotted? Just a thought.
I agree, check those, mine are shot and I get nasty clunking noises is I drop the clutch too fast. They're on the list of things to fix. Soon as I get a new trans, gonna do it all in one shot.

Uh seemin this thread is like over a year old im pretty sure he gots it coverd.

sidriptide said:
welcome to Detroit!!!!!

Ditto.

This is my biggest complaint about living with a Detroit in a DD rig. If I could do it over again, I'd definitely have gone with an ARB instead.

Back