• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running 6" with short arms.

engsapper

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running 6" with short arm kit.
I have RC 4.5 w/rear springs and want to add a buget boost (shackels and spacers) but not sure how it will ride..Any ideas

it sucks, really bad

brandon
i ran short arms with a 6" lift, and not only does it ride crappy on road, it doesn't flex that well either

I have run that now for about a month, in the process of changing it,,, seemed to ride ok, but the steering was funky, and not great flex, and when it did, the axle wanted to come back ALOT.(look at the coil)

450.jpg

I did the 4.5 w/bb, for about six months. It didn't handle to bad, but the arms are at a pretty extreme angle,limiting articulation. I just went w/ rustys longarm and am very happy with it. With the long arms I was able to adjust wheelbase&caster&the flex is incredible.

i am runnig at 5.5" and i dont mind it at all.. CA angles are steep and you need to remember that when you try to climb anything vertical.. but only once this last year did it actually make a diference on the trail.. i decided to lift it without the CA drop brackets because i have seen the drop brackets rip a frame mout right off the frame ( wasnt runign the reinforcing brackets on them) i like the way its set up and like how it rides on the street.. taking into acount that its a trail rig and not a D/D... not the ultimate setup but it works wel for what it is... RE 4.5" sper-flex..

standard

im at 6.5 with sa's not great on road but livable. but what do I know I am still running stock trackbar too.

Okie Terry said:
I'm at 6" with SAs and wouldn't change it for LAs, that's for sure. Of course, my CAs are dropped.

Debating going to a modified RE longarm upgrade....but not too sure. I can sure save a load of $$ by just putting JKS arms into my RE drop brackets.

That said, I ran short arms with around 7" lift and it drove me effing crazy. Put the drop brackets in and it rides like stock again.

hackedxj said:
My buddy runs 6'' springs with short arms and doesn't like it, the control arms are on steep angles.

I'm at 7.5" on the front with the Terra CA's. If you want the ride back, invest in the RE drop down brackets with support brackets. I had a very stiff ride until I put the drop downs on. Got the ride back as well as control. They make all the difference in the world.

Laters...........Mikey

5.5" front end and my coils flex kinda funny - look like a banana shape, but other that that no real problems
My cherokee rides like a truck - but i treat it like a truck so its ok...
IMG_2571.jpg

drop brackets will make it bareable for on-road ride & for added flex off-rd

my homebrew of custom 2" drop brackets & custom LCAs
119063643kXvSaW_th.jpg

119063937TEfayk_th.jpg

i did have a write up on cheapxj.com but appearantly that domain is crapped-out

Last edited:
i got about 6' with short arms and 33's (rubicon arms). Drives and flexes like a champ but i dont like em only for the fact it doesnt position my axle where its supose to be. They bring the axle back instead of being centered and doesnt allow my springs to reach full height. If i had longer arms my springs would reach full height and my axle would be centered.

See a pattern here? Drop brackets or repositioning the mounting locations of the SA's will vastly improve the ride/function of the suspension. I chose to move my arm mounting point up slightly on the axle, and back/down slightly on the uniframe mount, which gives a smoother ride without any decrease in ground clearance....and it's a cheap mod that works, too.

XJEEPER said:
I chose to move my arm mounting point up slightly on the axle, and back/down slightly on the uniframe mount, which gives a smoother ride without any decrease in ground clearance....and it's a cheap mod that works, too.

Did you only move the lowers or did you also make adjustments to the uppers? If so, how did that affect caster?

ECKSJAY said:
Debating going to a modified RE longarm upgrade....but not too sure. I can sure save a load of $$ by just putting JKS arms into my RE drop brackets.

That said, I ran short arms with around 7" lift and it drove me effing crazy. Put the drop brackets in and it rides like stock again.

I run 7-8" with short arms and the RE drop brackets (5.5 X-duty RE kit with 8" skyjacker coils) and it rides good on and off road. The drop brackets make a world of diff at this height any higher and I might consider long arms.

I just drove my jeep over 500 miles to San Diego from Sacramento and it rode very good loaded down with my 2 full width axles on my passenger side and 3 37's and 2 35's loaded in my cargo area. I just had to drive more carefully with the 3" or so of sagging on my 1 side, but it drove o.k.

Bottom line, if U want to run 6" with short arms get RE drop brackets which will bring your short arms close to horizontal again like stock, if U plan to run over 7-8" or so think of going with a long arm setup or just deal with the less than ideal on road/off road handling.
Troy

JLane99XJ said:
i did have a write up on cheapxj.com but appearantly that domain is crapped-out

maybe his ISP didn't appreciate the "cheap" part

Your pic makes cool wallpaper. Everybody is asking me what it is :sunshine:

If you have some better one's, post 'em. This is a good fab project that more should be doing. It's on my list, but so is fixing up the TR-7 thats been sitting in my garage since 1981.

Yes, 6.5" with adjustable Rusty's U&P control arms opened just about all the way out. I don't have a problem with the ride or the steering. Flexes nice for me. Coil doesn't bow back at all, but it really has a lot to do with the control arm length. But I'll have the measure them when I get a chance. Juice

engsapper said:
Anyone running 6" with short arm kit.
I have RC 4.5 w/rear springs and want to add a buget boost (shackels and spacers) but not sure how it will ride..Any ideas

RE 5.5 Extreme Duty SA Kit with Acos.Acos are racked all the way up so I guess I'm a little under 7".The RE kit came with the LCA drop brackets.No problems here.

Last edited:
Back