• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rocker arm/pivot assy.

frsno jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
As i start putting my motor together, i notice that the rocker arms have a set of valleys
on them.The "friction: side of the pivot assy. has the same set of valleys on them.
Both sets of valleys are angled and can be swapped to fit either in the same direction, or in the opposite direction.
After lookin thru the F.S.M. i can not find any info as to how they should be oriented.
Anyone have an idea how these should go?

O.E. arms and pivot assy.

I've never done a teardown/buildup on a 4.0; however, some preparations during teardown can save alot of time and heartache during the build. Label and mark orientation of everything! Especially reusing stock components in the valvetrain. Everything has worn-in together. Pushrods, rockers, lifters all should be marked and reinstalled exactlly where they came from. Seperate sandwich bags marked with a permanent pen can be used to mark each cylinders intake and exhaust components. Ie: #1 cylinder intake, #5 cylinder exhaust, etc.

Or mark parts like I do - I used Nylon wire ties and brass checks with stamped marks - that way, I can clean parts and such without removing marks (Nylon is cured in Sulphuric acid, and is impervious to nearly everything.)

With the angled lube grooves, you will want to have them "diverge" - meaning they should cross and run in opposite directions. This will promote oil flow between the parts and help keep lubrication up and wear down.

They can be run either way, but you are better crossing the lube grooves, since that will make the best use of both sets of grooves.

5-90

Back