• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal cancelling cam broken

KaHOnas

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. The turn signal on my 2000 XJ won't shut off automotically. It just stopped doing it. I was wondering how difficult it was to fix this. Does anyone have any information (or, even better, any pictures of the procedure)? It is one of those little things that become an annoyance.

Before I get yelled at, I have searched for an answer to this. All seem to mention I need to pull the steering wheel and look in there to check the springs (yada yada yada). 2 problems...first, I would like to know what the guts look like ahead of time so I know what I'm getting into and what to look for, and secondly, I have an airbag to deal with. How much of a problem will this cause?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

If you go to Autozone's website (you might have to register for logon; it will ask for vehicle year, etc.) they have online repair guides. I use the guides fairly often as an extra reference because surprisingly the photos tend to be clearer and more detailed than any Chiltons or Haynes manual. I used the guides to do alot of things in my steering column. And the repair guide service is free! Not sure if they'll have info for 2001 but I don't see why not.

I never knew that! Thanks a bunch...I'll check that out.

David, the resident (but not only, I expect) Army guy

Air Cav!

I've registered, but I cannot find them. Are they in repair info? I appreciate the guidance...

Never mind, I found where they would be. Unfortunately, it says the 2000 4.0l 4x4 XJ manual isn't available online. Crap...

The airbag would make me nervous, otherwise, this is a pretty easy job. I've done on my 94 twice, once for a broken spring, and to replace the cam you're referring to.

How bad is that airbag? Should I just deal with turning the signal off myself?

That's up to you. Me, I'm nervous working with tools right above the rough equivalent of a 12ga shotgun shell pointed at me.

Yeah, you've got yourself a point. Man, this sucks. I am NOT a fan of airbags...

I noticed Autozone has a repair guide (under Repair Info) for a 1998 but not 1999+ yet. Does this year share the same style steering wheel as your 2000? The info's under "Suspension and Steering" ("Turn Signal Switch"). It's worth a look-see I suppose. Nice picture of that turn cam.

Like mentioned, I'd be concerned about that air bag.

Air bag = yikes.

I've looked on OtterZone.com, but tehy "are experiencing technical difficulties" at the moment. Maybe it's my browser...I dunno. I'd like to see this cam though. Maybe I'll try later.

I installed the factory cruise control in my '98, which involved removing everything, steering wheel, clockspring, ab, etc... I broke a sweat too, now I laugh at them.

If you use common sense, it's easier than dropping the tranny pan.

Email me if you need help. You can do it. We're Americans, gosh darnit...

[email protected]

Mike #300

are you sure you have to remove the steering wheel? i was checking this problem out cause it just turned up on my 92 and the manual says i just gotta take of some little panels. seems pretty easy to me. but who knows yours is a little newer, maybe they made it harder to fix for a reason.

If that cam thing is part of the clockspring, yes, I believe the steering wheel has be pulled. I've been bringing my '98's FSM to work lately looking for wires 'cause I'm installing a viper remote start, I'll check your situation out.

Does it not cancel in both directions?

Mike #300

mikeny59 said:
Does it not cancel in both directions?

Nope. It fails to cancel left or right.

The FSM says to disconnect negative cable for two minutes to discharge the capacitor. There's way too much info about airbag safety to give advice, except to get your hands on the FSM for your year. I'd hate to give someone info that injures them.

FWIW, the best money I ever spent on my '98 Classic was the FSM.

BTW, the "Multi-Function Switch", which contains the turn signal stalk and hazard warning button, contains a "cancel actuator", a little tab thing sticking out opposite the stalk. Can't see it unless you remove this switch. That's could be what broke off.

Mike #300

Just found out that a friend of mine went through airbag qualification class a little while back. I might have to use him : -)

He said it might be possible to check it all out without removing the steering wheel. Not replace anything, just look in there. I'm gonna go that route first.

Back