• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY oil catch can

Has yours collected enough oil to drain yet? If so, how much over what period of time? Was it easy to get to the drain plug where you placed the can in the bay?

Pretty Nifty.

on the downside, forget to drain the can and the oil level will rise above 1" and stop up the vacuum scavenging system altogether.

Surprising to hear the new stroker is having oil blowby problems.

No, I'm not having any oil blowby problems (knock on wood), otherwise I would have put the catch can at the front to stop oil from soaking the air filter instead. In fact, the oil level hasn't moved on the dipstick since I put Mobil 1 in the pan 3700 miles ago so I'd say my stroker's doing fine. It goes like a bat in hell.
The inside of my intake manifold looks like the Ace of Spades (don't they all?) so I only did the oil catch can mod to prevent it from getting even worse. You'll get that with any healthy running 4.0.
I've been running the catch can for about two months. I haven't drained it yet but I doubt there'll be more than a thimble full of oil in it. My "drain plug" is very easy to reach where I have the can mounted.

Nice.

About like mine but nicer looking. I posted this a long time ago but i can't find the post, here's the link anyway.

http://www.geocities.com/foxfire13.geo/images/intake.html

mine was a little different design but same basic concept. worked great, it collected plenty of oil. I put it on at about 190k miles, the can filled up more times than I would have liked.

oh well that motor is blown up now, parked in the garage at 211k, the catch can is leaving with the motor, but I'll make another one if I ever get blowby with the "new" motor. :laugh3:

Back