• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mig welding axle yoke?

rooster

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj with a dana 30 high pinion front axle. I was thinking about cutting/grinding out the weld on the axle yoke then rotate the pinion up to get the front driveshaft/pinion angle within specs then reweld the axle yoke. Is it okay to mig weld the axle yolk? If not then what do you recommend to weld with?

rooster said:
I have a 99 xj with a dana 30 high pinion front axle. I was thinking about cutting/grinding out the weld on the axle yoke then rotate the pinion up to get the front driveshaft/pinion angle within specs then reweld the axle yoke. Is it okay to mig weld the axle yolk? If not then what do you recommend to weld with?

I'm not sure what your saying, but if you are MIG welding a cast iron yoke it may not have the strength that it had before. Some cast iron sucks to weld on unless you've got the right equipment/skills to do so. How are you going to change the pinion angle again???

if you mean rotating the whole pumpkin? I read somewhere on this site that the tubes are pressed into the pumpkin, and so the 'easier' way would be to reweld everything else.
but that's just my understanding.

FUNKYTEE5 said:
I'm not sure what your saying, but if you are MIG welding a cast iron yoke it may not have the strength that it had before. Some cast iron sucks to weld on unless you've got the right equipment/skills to do so. How are you going to change the pinion angle again???

not cast iron. cast steel. huge difference

rooster said:

like the others, not sure what you mean by "axle yoke"

the yoke is the thing your driveshaft connects to.

if you are trying to rotate the pinion up, there are other concerns.

rooster said:

You must be talking about the inner knuckles, most often called "C's". Yes, you can grind out the weld and rotate them to get the pinion angle where you want, and you can weld it with a MIG, TIG, or stick, it makes no difference.

However, on the XJ D30 the coil seats and shock mounts are pretty close to the C, so I don't know how you'd get in there to grind out the weld. You have to be careful since you're not shortening the housing because you'll grind into the tubes which will weaken them. Usually we do this when we're shortening a housing so it doesn't matter that we grind into the tubes to get the weld out because we're going to cut it off.

I don't think it's worth the trouble. Save up a few bucks and get a hub kit if you have a problem.

I'm assuming you're referring to the axle ears..(I call them ears at least :D).i.e. the "C" shaped things on the end of the front axle that the ball joints press into.

This is commonly done on custom axle setups....do a search on various Dana 44 front axle setups as this will probably yield the most info regarding welding the ears on.

Back