• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home made track bar

bigwhitey

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to put together a 1-ton steering with 1.5" x .250 Dom and chevy 1-ton TRE's. I'm thinking of building an adjustable track bar while I'm at it. Would this tubing be OK with the required bends? Does any one have pics or usefull information on this.

I had lousy luck with an adjustable track bar. The upper joint, a TRE, would crap out due to the amount of flex in the suspension being too much movement for the standard TRE. I cut the old TRE off and ended up putting a 1 ton TRE on it. The one ton units have a lot more flex angle. The only hassle was that the hole in the bracket was too small for the one ton TRE, so I reamed the stock bracket. It works great.

bigwhitey said:
yeah I figure while I'm making it adjustable I'll make it longer with the dom I just worried about bending it.
im no expert and have never worked with tube - BUT
if people are making cages and DOM is the **King ME** material and the cages hold the entire weight of the cherokee with bends in them - id think that a track bar would be no problem.
also - i called RE today and asked about their trackbars and they use DOM tube for their trackbars - with an inner diamiter of 1"

When we made mine we cut off the TRE and welded on some solid stock and threaded in a hiem joint. Has worked fine fo 4 years now. We did heat it up and staighten out the bends a bit. *FYI* (just in case) The stock trackbar is soild.

Track%20Bar.jpg

cablesmurf said:
When we made mine we cut off the TRE and welded on some solid stock and threaded in a hiem joint. Has worked fine fo 4 years now. We did heat it up and staighten out the bends a bit. *FYI* (just in case) The stock trackbar is soild.

Track%20Bar.jpg

You need to turn that heim vertical so it can rotate....this will eliminate the bending force.

~Mike

Back