• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many miles on your stroker? Any issues?

How was your stroker built?

• Total voters

Dr. Dyno

NAXJA Forum User
I'll get the ball rolling:

6700 miles
Budget home-built 4.6L stroker, cherry-picked parts
No problems, but have ticking rockers when engine hot.
Goes like a bat out of hell.

Last edited:
4.6L home built stroker with cherry picked parts. Has had no problems with 4,000 miles (Knock on wood). There is a ticking valve train type noise when really hot.

Also runs like a bat out of hell :viking: Fast enough to take any non turbo rice and mostly stock 5.0L Mustangs:D

AARON

Mine has about 15k miles. Runs great. It's a trail rig now so not to many road miles any more.

That is a common problem.

Once you ever get a stroker, you'll never go back :laugh3:

0 miles, still working on it, some parts at the shop, the rest at the machine shop. Probably should not have posted, but getting excited about a stroker in my rock-crawler cj7. Like reading about others success!

Ken

About 12 000 miles on a 4.6L renix based low buck stroker.

Great low end but same ticking valve train when hot.

Seem to get a high idle the odd time when the engine is warm. Probably a sensor issue.

I'm at the same stage as tinker. I'v collected the parts and the block head and crank aregoingto the machine shop monday. I have a few concerns about fueling. will my 91 21lb injectors be enough? if not will ford 24lb alone be ok? or will i need a MAP adjuster? what about a fuel pressure regulator?

wascobi said:
do you all have adjustable map sensors and run higher than 87 octane fuel?

I run Ford 24lb injectors, stock 39psi regulator, and MAP adjuster set at 5.15v (stock voltage is 5.04v). Only fuel available to me is 91 octane with MTBE.
The combination of Flowkooler high-flow water pump, Robertshaw 180* t'stat, good factory two-row radiator, and cold air intake ensure that the engine runs cool and stays ping-free even on a 115*F summer day. Keeping the cylinder head and intake air temps. down are critical elements in preventing detonation.

4.6L Renix, originally built by Jake's, but with all budget internal parts. I got it with 20K and have put about 3k on it. It has 10-1 compression and runs premium, a bored throttle body, Clifford header and 2.5" exhaust, and Ford 24lb injectors. I put in a Crane cam and Mopar lifters.

It runs very strong, the Jeep is fun to drive, and has no noises or issues. It sounds good, too. :)

4.7 Renix Ported head, 24.6 MOPAR injectors flowing 26.5 (45 Lbs on adj regulator) Borla header K&N filter Comp Cams 235-4 Cam about 9.1 compression with slight detonation at light throttle (.104 quench height)
Daily driver with 22,000 miles in 2 years. Will try an APEXi S-AFC which should allow better tuning than my adj MAP.

dttio on the vavle train noise between 2500-3500 rpm ...quiet at lower and higher rpms..used to worry me, I've checked eveything several times never have figured it out, chalked it up to the cam. My rig would do better with an hour meter than a odometer, I built it a couple of years ago. Otherwise no complaints.

About 4,000 on my homebuilt acurrate kit. Renix based with HO top end. I have a wierd stalling problem when I push in the clutch every once in a while. It used to hesitate at around 2000 rpms but an msd 6a cured that, now it runs strong and a lot smoother.

Dr. Dyno said:
Only fuel available to me is 91 octane with MTBE.
Hey, Doc -- What kind of octane is that?

No, this is not a trick question. The octane we see posted in the U.S. is an average of two methods of measuring octane. One is the so-called "Research Method," and I don't recall the name of the other. At lower altitudes we normally see octanes with this system of 87 (regular), 89 (mid-grade), and 91 to 93 (high test). In the Rockie Mountains at high altitude, "Regular" is 85 octane.

Visiting the wife's family in Chile, they sell three grades, but the octane numbers are much higher (IIRC they run 93-95-97).

What octane rating system do y'all use in Saudi Arabia?

rsalemi said:
4.7 Renix Ported head, 24.6 MOPAR injectors flowing 26.5 (45 Lbs on adj regulator) Borla header K&N filter Comp Cams 235-4 Cam about 9.1 compression with slight detonation at light throttle (.104 quench height)
Daily driver with 22,000 miles in 2 years. Will try an APEXi S-AFC which should allow better tuning than my adj MAP.

I should have a write up ready to post by the end of this week so keep your eyes peeled :)

AARON

Eagle said:
Hey, Doc -- What kind of octane is that?
What octane rating system do y'all use in Saudi Arabia?

Same as US i.e. R+M/2; the 91 octane that I'm using is equivalent to the European 95 RON.

2,000 miles, 4.6 Renix, 24 lb injectors, MAP at 4.9 to lean the mix to 13.2-1 at WOT, Isky 133125/26 hybrid cam.

No noise, idles like a champ, pulls like a bat out of hell, 87 octane most of the time (I live in the mountains).

Should have gone with a 12 counterweight crank, would like a little more rotating mass for the rocks.

CRASH

40K (mostly highway) on 4.6 homebuilt with accurate power parts. Ford 24lb injectors. No noises, no problems. Can run 85 octane without knock, but run 87 most of the time.

Back