• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Headlight loom upgrade -- Hi's don't work

Jeepski

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday afternoon I finally got everything together and wired a new headlight loom as per the instruction of GoJeep in Australia. Unfortunately, My high beams don't work on the circuit. I've double checked my wiring and it seems to be good. (Wires to old headlight socket and both wires to new sockets are fine.) I replaced the high beam relay i started wiring with (thought it might be a dud) and it no change. A reading at the socket shows I am getting 14.4 Volts to the low beams, but no dice on the hi's. I arched the juic e and tack welded two wires together this morning when I was testing it all (might have been a good idea to disconnect the battery ;) ), and i havn't checked the fuses yet. So far, I havn't found the position of a stock relay for lights anywhere. Is there one? The lights are new silverstars maybe when I have money i'll swap them out with E-codes and ridiculously high wattage bulbs. Any other ideas.

To make it a little clearer, I know it's not the bulbs because i got them both to work last night. my initial wiring job on the H4 plugs was pretty sketchy and the hi and low beam were touching (both hi and lo were on at the same time). Since then, I have rewired the H4 plugs and have determined that there are no errors in the wiring. I have looked at the fuses and they are intact. I need to know whether or not there is some original relay that i could have fried when i accidentally arched the ground and hi beam wire in one of the headlights this morning.

Realisticly you dont have to cut any wires to add a harness. You can use two Hella fused relays, one for low beam, one for high beam, use one of the old headlight sockets to operate the relays. Then if you want you can use the other old headlight socket to operate a set of fogs and driving lights later on. I like the hella relays because they have built in fuses, saves having inline fuses hanging around and they are easier to change. Local 4wheel drive shop here has the hella relays for $11 ea IIRC.

Heres another one.
http://www.rallylights.com/useful_info/headlamp_wiring.htm

Have you checked to make sure there is power first coming out from the old hi beam plug and then up the switch wire to the relay? Then is there power going to the the relay from the battery? Next check there is power coming out of the relay when the hi beams are switch on followed to make sure it comes out the new plug end. If there power all the way to that point, there is something in the bulb wrong or its conection to it.

Hey Thanks guys for the replies,
Turns out it was a bad relay. I had replaced them after i shorted it, but one of the new ones was a dud. Works GREAT now. I'm really happy I have some light in front of my rig now.

Back