• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

down to the last sensor

wascobi

NAXJA Forum User
in the ongoing battle of my non-starting jeep! lots of spark, lots of fuel, checked all sensors with a digital meter and all spec out on ohms and volts. it is pumping huge volumes of gas through it when cranking. it will almost catch sometimes but never does. last thing to check is the cam position sensor. what a bitch this thing has been! would a bad cam sensor, or whatever is in the distributor of my '90, cause a no start like this?

going crazy :wierd:

As you know the "cam position sensor" is in the distributor. You indicated you know that the distributor is a b.... to get right. It's very easy to position the distributor 180 degrees off following the directions. When I replaced the distributor on my 96 xj I found that ONE gear tooth off and it would not start. What I did was leave the bolt out so I could turn the distributor while someone else cranked the engine till I found out where it would start. I then knew what way and how much I had to turn the distributor shaft.

JoBo

Change the plugs. You got the soaked with all the cranking. It is a classic symptom.

Back