• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Stabalizer

Wondo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

How much good does it do to have a aftermarkey steering stabalizer... i only have 3 inches so far with 31's, but it has the stock stabalizer with over 115,000 miles on it, think i should replace it?

It should help noticable. When I replaced my stock unit, it helped greatly with bumpsteer.

It's more than likely due for replacement with over 100K miles on the clock. Are you trying to cure a shimmy or shake in the steering?

Don't expect to resolve any bumpsteer issues. Bumpsteer is caused by poor steering and/or suspension geometry. Replacing a steering stabilizer doesn't change your geometry in any way.

i'm lookin for a cure to a bit of shimmy in the steering, think that will solve up the problems?

No, it will just cover up them up. The cause of the shimmy/shake, will still be there, and will eventually just wear down the new steering stabilizer and you still have the same problem. Tell us more about your shimmy. Does it occur at certain speeds, like around 50-55 MPH? Does it get worse or better if you drive a certain way, or speed, or on certain roads, or weather conditions.
Steering stabilizers are just shocks to absorb lateral blows, they don't fix shimmies, shakes or death wobble. I have 140,000+ miles on my stock stabilizer. I'm sure it is worn out by now and if I took it off and drove around without one I wouldn't notice a difference. If the steering/suspension components are in good shape and properly tuned, then the job of the SS is very minor. Look somewhere else for the problem. Shoot, take the SS off for a little while so it doesn't cover it up to help you track down the culprit. I would start with the condition and balance of your front wheels and tires, especially if the shimmy is around 50-55 MPH.

Prolly the tires. I fought my DW for ever and tried everythig. I got new tires and rims from 4wheelparts and they came balanced with both the stick on weights and the pound on ones. All my problems were immediately solved. I took my old tires to Wal-Mart to have them balanced and they came out worse than before. Make sure you have a good performance shop balance them and not just a grease monkey. I like my Skyjacker stabilizer though. It's good peace of mind.

I was getting some crazy stuff going on at 55 about 6 months ago, and I balanced, and got an allignment, but it didn't help, I changed my SS, and presto. Haven't had a problem since. I figure I can spend 35 bucks every year or two to replace it if I need to.

codeman
(3", 31's)

Plenty have solved a minor shimmy with a new stabilizer shock, and a new stock one seems to work the best. The Jeep engineers put it there for a reason and you need a good one with the stock setup.

I don't have stock steering, and I don't have a stabilizer, and don't need one.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies, just wanted to let you know i got a SS and installed it late last nite....its good as new, no shimmys now, thanks everyone for the input!

Dave

Back