• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Stubborn Wheel Studs

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I just put disc brakes on the rear end and discovered that my wheel studs are a bit too short. I tried tapping them with a hammer, but they didn't budge. Do I need some kind of special tool? Short of explosives I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks,
Robert

an air chisel with pointed or dull tip made short work of mine...it actually took more time to set it up than to knock em out....

BRRAP....done

Screw a lug nut on the threads and pop it good with about a 6 pound hammer. Works for me.

Thanks for all the advice and help. I didn't get a chance to get them out over the weekend, but I did have the time to go buy a new air hammer. Believe it or not the air hammer didn't get them out! I finally resorted to a 5 pound hammer and after a number of whacks they came out. Oh well, now I've got a new air tool to play with.

Has anyone used one of these things to cut the fenders? If so, how controllable is it?

Thanks as always,
Robert

Back