• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which is stronger axle material, 4140 or 4340?

TRNDRVR

NAXJA Forum User
Going to order my custom shafts for my front end and have been calling around. I can get custom Dutchman 4340 domestic axles for $395 a pair, but I can get Moser 4140 axles for $295 a pair. Moser's claim is that they're slightly stronger than the 4340 material. (?) I searched around and read that this might not be a true statement.

Anybody know for sure??

Thanks,
Dan.

PS These inners will be run with Warn outers and CTMs.

It all depends on the heat treatment. They have very similar characteristics, and can be made to have almost the same strength properties. For a $100 difference, I would go with the 4140.

Last edited:
When/if you decide to go with the moser's, do this simple test. Grab shaft by the splines and bounce one of the ears on the concrete, you'll get a nice thud sound. Now look at it, it'll be bent. Now, do this with a warn shaft. You'll get a pretty decent ring and the ear won't be bent. I can't comment on the dutchman's, but warn uses 4340. I believe farmermatt did the rockwell test on one and he can tell you what they are hardened to. What I'm trying to say is don't buy the moser front shafts :wave:

OneTonXJ said:
When/if you decide to go with the moser's, do this simple test. Grab shaft by the splines and bounce one of the ears on the concrete, you'll get a nice thud sound. Now look at it, it'll be bent. Now, do this with a warn shaft. You'll get a pretty decent ring and the ear won't be bent. I can't comment on the dutchman's, but warn uses 4340. I believe farmermatt did the rockwell test on one and he can tell you what they are hardened to. What I'm trying to say is don't buy the moser front shafts :wave:

grab a dutchman shaft and bounce it off one tons forehead....interestingly enough, same "thud" sound.

your mileage may vary

LMFAO

No disrespect intended.... but truly funny sh*t

btray

Odd they use 4140 usually it's 4130 or 4340.

Hot rolled and annealed: Syt (ksi)
4130-56
4140-62
4340-69

Quenched and tempered: Syt (ksi)
4130-133
4140-131
4340-162

Beezil said:
grab a dutchman shaft and bounce it off one tons forehead....interestingly enough, same "thud" sound.

your mileage may vary

I did that with a stock spicer. It was like hitting a pillow. No bent ear though, everything returned to it's original shape.

TRNDRVR, I haven't been paying attention. Can you not get Warn's for your app?

Everyone I know with mosers break them just about as quick as a spicer. They are breaking where the yoke meets the shaft.

Dutchman is using Superior blanks with cut splines for the domestics. Have you priced what buying Superiors would be? They will even make custom lengths.

Lincoln said:
TRNDRVR, I haven't been paying attention. Can you not get Warn's for your app?

Dutchman is using Superior blanks with cut splines for the domestics. Have you priced what buying Superiors would be? They will even make custom lengths.
Warn off the shelf shafts are just a tad bit too short. Anywhere from .255 on the long side and .455 on the short side. With those kind of measurements, I might as well just get custom shafts made. I haven't priced Superior shafts yet, but I know that Dutchman's domestic shafts are Superior's.

TRNDRVR said:
Warn off the shelf shafts are just a tad bit too short. Anywhere from .255 on the long side and .455 on the short side. With those kind of measurements, I might as well just get custom shafts made. I haven't priced Superior shafts yet, but I know that Dutchman's domestic shafts are Superior's.

What app? F-150? PA6104 and PA6082. :D

Jes said:
What do you mean by "supposed"?
I acquired somebody else’s unfinished project. Basically it was already narrowed so its exact measurements were unknown. Everything is done on it except the inner axles.

I wonder if they used Cherokee shafts instead of Wagoneer. They were 3-4" wider than the wagoneers if I remember correctly. Couldn't find any info on the lengths.

You've got me curious now. What lengths did you come up with and I'll see if I can cross refernce it?

Anyway, I would buy dutchman. I wouldn't skimp since it's not going to be an over the counter item.

Lincoln said:
Anyway, I would buy dutchman. I wouldn't skimp since it's not going to be an over the counter item.

With the Dutchman U are getting Superior blanks with the domestic stuff from them and I think Yukon with their foreign India stuff. I chose to go with Yukon for both my front 4340 alloy f-150 stuff and Yukon 1541 35 spline 9" shafts for my rear axle. I'll have to see how these hold up to my 37" mtrs. Anyways prices very quite a bit, the Superior shafts would have cost me about $760 or so for a full set inner and outers for my f-150 hp44, but the Yukon 4340 alloys cost less than 1/2 that at $350 inners/outers. They are both made with 4340 alloy, but Superior says they roll their splines for a 30% strength increase over cutting them.
Troy

Back