• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Adjustable Upper Control Arms and front D/s installed

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
just like it says...
installed and made a write up. good read if i do say so myself...
information also on general driveshaft angle / pinion angle as well as random other cool stuff that seems semi-related to the tech...

http://www.opiebennett.com/upperdrrveshaft.htm

search terms:
Rubicon Express, Control Arms, Upper Control Arms, UCA, Pinion Angle, Yoke, Yoke strap, Front Driveshaft, T-Case, drop, angle, output, CV, Near constant velocity, doubble cardan, double cardan, single cardan, slip yoke, 4 link, LCA, Superflex, Zerk fitting, pipe wrench, floor jack

Once again from you, a well done write up with first-hand experience....

You mention the magnet trick. Just thought I'd throw out there, for small stuff that gets into your frame rails or similar areas, I've had times that the little magnet on a stick couldn't get to it. I found that the speakers I tore out of the doors have strong enough magnets that if you drag them along where the screw or nut is, it will try to follow it. Just another trick I was "lucky" enough to have to try.....

FitchVA said:
nice writeup. one question, do you know the bolt specks for the axle-end upper ca? i need to correct my angle and i'd like to put new bolts there. thanks in advance.

Im not sure as to the thread pitch or whatnot, but the bolts that RE sent me were grade 8 bolts and ahd grade 8 all metal locknuts. the washers.... were washers... lol
Im sure that RE will send you some for $$$ if it is that importiant, but what i did was i brought the broken bolt to OSH (Orchard supply hardware and garden) and compared bolt thickness and thread pitch and length, found a GR8, and got home for $2.25?
I do remember that the factory bolts from my rig wouldnt work because:
1- i messed up the threads terribly when i pulled them out
2- they were too short...

so - hope this is helpful...
-Ranger

XJ_ranger said:
Im not sure as to the thread pitch or whatnot, but the bolts that RE sent me were grade 8 bolts and ahd grade 8 all metal locknuts. the washers.... were washers... lol
Im sure that RE will send you some for $$$ if it is that importiant, but what i did was i brought the broken bolt to OSH (Orchard supply hardware and garden) and compared bolt thickness and thread pitch and length, found a GR8, and got home for $2.25?
I do remember that the factory bolts from my rig wouldnt work because:
1- i messed up the threads terribly when i pulled them out
2- they were too short...

so - hope this is helpful...
-Ranger
thanks for the reply. my xj is my dd, so when i get around to adjusting on mine, i'll have to have a friend drive me to a hardware store and get a match.

Great write up!

btray

Back