• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you put 31x10.5 on a stock suspencion??

Cris_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys , I have a set of 31x10.5x15 sitting in my basemant I was going to wait for the 3" lift but Im really itching to change the stock 215' bike tires.
So it may sound stupid but will the 31's fit on the stock suspencion ??
will they fit on the 15x7 rims (Im getting 15x8 but in a while just dont want to wait)...and if the tires will fit the stock rim ,will they look skinny and tall compare to fitting them on the 15x8??

This is for a 96' XJ by the way.

Thanks in advance

Yes they will fit on the rims. They will "probably" fit on the jeep. They will also probably rub when turning and if "stuffed". You could put them on and adjust the bumpstops and turning stops?

Be careful, you could damage the tires and the body work if they rub too much in the wrong spots.

Michael

The 31's will fit a stock suspension, sadly I know this from experience. I would not suggest it. There will be major, major rubbing. The tires will also go onto the rims and shouldn't really change the appearence. I strongly suggest you wait for the lift.

Are you getting the lift? If you weren't dead set on it you could just get a budget boost and pop them on. Some rigs can get away with them on just that. If they still rub just trim what little would need to be. If you didn't mind hacking your fenders up quite a bit they would probably fit on the stock suspension. Just my .02

They'll probably fit but ur gonna have some rubbing, My advice is to wait and lift it first because ur probably gonna have to take them off to put the lift on anyway. What kind of engine are u running in ur rig?

I have em on mine since before Christmas. Waiting for my lift to arrive now. (RE6030) You must back-up really slow, or you'll rub. No load in the back, and stay out of the pot holes. FORGET WHEELING... You only get 3/4 crank before it hits. But yea... you can do it. You just have to drive very carefully or you can trash $500+ of new meat.

maybe it's just me.. but i translate the word "fit" to encompass not only sitting in the driveway not moving, but full steering and suspension movement... so if it will rub when flexed or the steering turned fully each way i consider the answer to be a NO.. 30s on a stock rig WILL rub.. most depending on the condition of the suspension and the tread design on the tires, it may not be destructive rubbing but they do make contact with the body and suspension throughout the normal movement of the suspension.. just wait for the lift... make a plan and stick with it, you'll be much happier....

XJRedneck said:
They'll probably fit but ur gonna have some rubbing, My advice is to wait and lift it first because ur probably gonna have to take them off to put the lift on anyway. What kind of engine are u running in ur rig?

and you wouldnt have to take the tires off the vehicle to put on a lift if they were smaller?
taking the 5 lug nuts off isnt a big deal. You wouldnt have to re-rim the tire to put a lift on...

quivvy said:
what bout w/ rims with less backspacing and lots of fender hacking and steering stops?

Fender hacking is great
steering stops - not my thing... i like being able to turn. the point is to make the rig more capable - PERIOD. not to make compromises between stuff...

Back