• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weber Carb

85Chief

NAXJA Forum User
After some thought, I have decided to go with a Weber Carb for my new 3.4 (was 2.8). My question is, does this carb (below) come with everything I need to get it working? Im guessing they are talking about the 2.8 because that's when the 2.8 was out, and it was a V.

Also, will the electric choke work? I'm not sure if my old carb had manual or electric. Sorry for all of the questions, but I have no knowlege of carbs.

"Weber Carb 84-86
V6 engine . Power Carb18% more HP w/electric choke. 38 DGES carb plus kit. Manual Included."

http://store.yahoo.com/collinsbros/webercarb8485.html

Lastly, would I need a different air filter to go along with this, and if so which one? 1 3/4 or 2 1/2?

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/dgv__dgev__dgav__air_filters

Thanks A lot!
85Chief

If it is a complete K-490 Redline Weber kit...it comes with the air filter.
Also...if you will be buying it from Collins Bros...they are a good bunch to deal with...

MudDawg said:
If it is a complete K-490 Redline Weber kit...it comes with the air filter.
Also...if you will be buying it from Collins Bros...they are a good bunch to deal with...

I'm not sure if it's the Redline kit or not. I can't really tell from the page I clicked on. Has anyone ordered from here and can tell me if this is the full kit that MudDawg speaks of?

Any clue about the choke?

Thanks for the response
85Chief

Hey Chief :
I'm on the same trail as you . My Weber 38 kit is on the way from Collins Bros as I tap the keyboard. I expect that it will arrive jetted and set at the bone stock 2.8 litre engine , as the kit I've bought is specifically for my 85 XJ .

Th Rochester my 85 came with seems good at WOT only , electric choke was diddled , secondary metering pin dangling in the bore and bent (Junkyard donor carb was $40 with 7day warranty); now with the power enrichment brass arm held on with 032" lockwire. It likes to stall on the down side of fast hump-overs . LOL , same issues as my 2nd '86 .

When that 2se comes off for local reman , the Weber kit is jumpin right on the black hole left behind. Diving right in and hoping the water is fine. I'm clueless but optimistic. I hope to have that experience and some opinion soon . With any kind of luck my winter XJ ( 86 2.8 + Edelbrock intake , 040"over pistons ) will like it if that one doesn't .

I'm hoping for similar fuel economy and better torque up to 2500 Rpm like the tech page at REDLINE shows for the 4.2 L inline 6. I've been at all I could find to read on it for 3 years , dont know anyone whos done this one yet .

Im curious about the HEI recurve too.

Good luck whatever ya choose and I hope to read more from ya soon .

85 XJ(NP207)open 86 XJ(NP228)open 94 ZJ(NP 242) open diffs

Not sure how it comes for the 2.8L but I did the 4.2L on my 89YJ. Mixed results, never did get it to run right. Oh, and it came with a K&N filter...

Youve probably got the 491 kit. Thats without the airfilter kit. Just an adapter, so that you can use your old one. However, the adapter will probaly be to tall, so you have to cut it some...

If you guys get your jeeps to run properly, I'm very interested to know. I've been trying and trying, but can't get it to run properly... The biggest problem is that it stalls when turning at low speed. Generally it doesent work properly at low speeds... Escpecially offroad.....

Do a search, cause there is another thread about this subject here on NAXJA0

Halvard said:
Youve probably got the 491 kit. Thats without the airfilter kit. Just an adapter, so that you can use your old one. However, the adapter will probaly be to tall, so you have to cut it some...

If you guys get your jeeps to run properly, I'm very interested to know. I've been trying and trying, but can't get it to run properly... The biggest problem is that it stalls when turning at low speed. Generally it doesent work properly at low speeds... Escpecially offroad.....

Do a search, cause there is another thread about this subject here on NAXJA0
Stalling on turns usually indicates that the float level is set too low. When you turn, the gas in the bowl sloshes to one side and the surface is at an incline to the carburetor, so the jet can be starved.

Halvard said:

I've had my weber on for over a month now, and I still don't have it running perfect. I'm having the same problems with the stalling while turning. I haven't had time to make many adjustments on it, but like Eagle said, it is most likely the float level or the mixture.

Yes, mine only came with the mount for the old air filter (which will have to be cut .5-1 inch).

The last thing is that im having a little problem in the morning keeping it running. I have to sit there for a little bit and warm it up. I don't have the electric choke hooked up because it revs to around 2000 rpm's, so the trouble in the mornings could be because of this. (am i right or wrong on that?)

Other than these minor problems, I LOVE this carb. I couldn't believe the amount of power that I gained. I can actually bark my tires on the pavement if need be. So hopefully when it gets nice out, I can mess with the adjustments and get it running right.

Sorry for the long post.
85Chief

Back