• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sunroof?

Slammed_am

NAXJA Forum User
I've always wanted a sunroof in a vehicle, but I've always been weary about adding an aftermarket one, even if its professionally installed. Does anyone one have any pics or stories about having them installed in an XJ (97-newer if possible).

Leaking is of course a major concern especially with the ribs running the length of the roof. I picture not having a perfectly flat surface just asking for trouble.

Slammed_am said:
I've always wanted a sunroof in a vehicle, but I've always been weary about adding an aftermarket one, even if its professionally installed. Does anyone one have any pics or stories about having them installed in an XJ (97-newer if possible).

Leaking is of course a major concern especially with the ribs running the length of the roof. I picture not having a perfectly flat surface just asking for trouble.

PM GSequoia : he's put one in an older XJ, but the process should be identical. FYI there is a specific sunroof that fits the XJ's roofs (again he'll have more info on it).

There used to be alot of cooler stuff back in the 70's for vans. I started out with an air scoop on in the center of my 75/76 Dodge van in the front, then went to a ~30 something wide sun roof and from there went to a T top kit they made for them. That went in in under 2 hours, it was nerve wracking cutting almost the whole front of the cab portion roof off with a saber saw only leaving one inch around the edges to rivet or weld to, I used rivets. Most of the sunroofs are pretty easy but I'd recommend taking your headliner down and staring at the roof construction first.
Also the measure 6 times and make one good cut really applies here....and ALWAYS err on the inside of the line :laugh3:

Back