• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving the gas tank....

4x4forlife

NAXJA Forum User
Well i hate how low the gas tank hangs. I've seen some pics of people actually just taking it out from underneath and putting it in the back hatch area. anyone here do that? what do i need to do, to do it other than rerun the lines?? I am thinking of chopping the rear then putting the gas tank inbetween the wheel wells and building a metal rack around and ontop of it to hold the gas tank in place and a spare on top.

That's what Ashman did, he's got pictures out there. Search on pirate4x4 for ashmanjeepxj or another 1 ton.

Mine is half in and half out.
I still need to build a box for it..
standard.jpg

Wow Pair=-----------Looks pretty .............tubular. hehehe---------Kyle

thats on my agenda just gotta get time to do it here is a pic of ashmans I have saved hope he don't mind me posting it.
tankraising.jpg

The factory skid works well for doing the move. Cut the hole in the floor, drop in the skid, then drop in the tank.

I did basically the same thing....except I built a 5 sided box out of 3/16", welded that to the framerails (flush on the bottom) then plated around the box with 11 gage to reinforce/replace the floor (or what was left of it!). Welded that to the sides of the box sticking up through the floor and then to new fenderwells and floor. Have another box that slides over the lower box so I can use it as a shelf and trap the tank securely at the same time.

To answer another question: No, you do not need to lengthen the wires, hoses, etc.

Jay

bear in mind that most states will require you to use a DOT approved fuel cell if it is mounted in the passenger compartment.. hell that might even be a federal regulation.. i'd research it a lil more first..

Back