• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case questions....swapping between years?

Jerod2099

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 87xj 4 door, 4.0 auto (no towing package) I bought it without a t-case and found one from a 99tj free. It works great but I don't have speedo and axle disco control. Well, I recently found a 85xj 4 door, 2.8 auto ( towing package) Will the t-case swap into the 87? I tried putting the t-case from my 84 4cyl standard in it but that didn't work so I am hoping the 85 will work. I also plan on swapping the front axle because the one on the 87 is bent from a wreck. Any chance the gears are the same? Is there any way I can tell without taking any of it apart? Thanks for any help.

Well, the t-case on an 85 and an '87 is completely different and its bolting up to a different trans on each year also, so no i do not believe it is a direct swap. As for the axle there is a good chance that with a 2.8 auto the gears will be 4.10's and with your 4.0 auto your gears are 3.55's so no the are'nt the same, the 2.8 could have 3.73 or so gears but still they are not the same. If you want just swap the front and rear axles into the '87, its not much more work to swap the rear axle, pretty easy.
by the way, is that '99TJ case off a 5sp or auto? and what ya gonna do with it since ya can't use it?

Later,

Eric

I thought since they were both Auto trannys it might work. I will probably try it anyway but I was hoping someone knew for sure. The tcase I put on it came from a 99tj 4cyl standard. It works fine we just don't have a speedo since the xj is cable driven and the tj was electro. I got the whole tj for free from my great uncle but it was burned to the ground (minimum liability insurance on it) so the only thing good might be the main engine parts maybe the tranny and I know the t-case is good because we use it everyday. Axles and stuff would need knew seals but they are probably good too. If this other t-case works then I am going to probably hold on the the tj case as a backup. If I could get enough for it I might sell it but the speedo gear where the plug goes in at was melted so you would have to replace that but everything else was fine.

I know my 84 4cyl standard t-case wouldn't fit the 87xj but the 99tj did fit so I was hoping just maybe it would work. If I had a 2.8 to put in the 85 I would just fix it because all it needs is a front windshield a motor and a back glass. The interior is even in good shape except for the normal rip on the driver seat. It is also select-trac. We have 5 other xj's in the family (four running) and this is the first one we have seen with the select-trac. One of our other ones is even an 85 2.8 with a standard. It was odd that this one had ST and the other didn't but I hope it fits cause I would like to have the option of 2wd or 4wd in both low and high gear. Thanks

Back