• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main seal replacement

Twisted XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace this and cant' spare the cash for a professional, I have started could really use some advice on the process or anyone in the Charlotte/Matthews/indian trail area that would be willing to lend a hand I would appreciate either.

It's as straight foward as a difficult math problem. :D

jeepin.com has a good writeup.

If I was closer, id lend a hand.

I did it a few years ago... took about 2-3 hours... most of that time was cleaning the old oil pan gasket off...

It's easier if your rig is lifted (oil pan clearance)...
get a hold of a skinny blunt brass punch to avoid scratching the main cap when you tap it out... (the seal)
you sometimes have to loosen the rearmost cap...

There's a few more tips on here somewhere, you might have more luck in the OEM forum, try a search there.

Last edited:
Me and my old man did 2 of em. It is a lot easier if the truck is lifted like mentioned above. And to make it easier, have a second person, so one can turn the crank while the other pushes out the old seal and then pushes in the new one. Also, the hardest part is getting the seal out probably and cleaning the oil pan, or if its not lifted geting the oil pan in and out. Mine still leaked after i did the rear main, but i drove it for a few days and then it sealed up and doesnt leak at all. Had to let it seal itself i guess. Good luck

Back