• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark plug install questions...

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
1. Did you use a torque wrench, or just hand tighten them, and give them the 1/2 turn or whatever the package says?

2. Did you use any anti-sieze? (I only ask, because I know a lot of plugs now say they don't need it.)

3. I have an '01. Was it hard to remove the coil rail?

1. If you have a torque wrench, use it. If not I hand tighten them, then with a 3/8 ratchet tighten them 'snug' - there is no need to overtorque them.

2. Yes - use antiseize it's your friend - a little goes a long way...

3. Not to hard IIRC - don't quote me though...

Will.

Only thing that might pose a problem getting the coil packs out of the way is the fact that they put the stupid plug in between the firewall and the pack, so if you have bigger hands and a lifted jeep, its gonna be a pain to get back there to unplug it. Anti seeze i have NEVER used and ive never had a problem....and torque wrench like said before if you have it handy, be my guest...otherwise agian i've never used it either for a plug change, snug w/ a socket wrench is what i always do, never any problems...have fun.

I never used to use anti-sieze on spark plugs, but I'm old enough that the normal spark plug change interval used to be 5,000 to 10,000 miles. With the new ignitions and plug change intervals of 40,000 or 50,000 or more miles, I have seen plugs get rusted into the holes and snap off when you try to remove them. So by all means use anti-sieze. Just remember that anti-sieze is a thread lubricant. Unless otherwise noted, recommended torque values are for clean DRY threads. Reduce the recommended torque by 20% to 25% when using anti-sieze.

When I replaced the plugs on my '89 I didnt use anti sieze. It was also a pain to get the last plug out that was against the firewall, but thats casue the old cooling system has a lot of tubing right there.

The rail is a PITA to work around @ 6" lift but I have always managed to change plugs twice without removing it, I'm just "patient". I use anti-sieze, never used a torque wrench (maybe I should) but I've always just been gentle and snugged them up a bit past hand tight. If you have a compressor its great to blow all the debris out from around the plugs after you pop the rail off to avoid anyhting falling into the block.

-P

Back