• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

toyota axles any good?

xXseekanddestroyXx

NAXJA Forum User
some one was trying to tell me that running duel toyota axles would be better than running duel d44s. can someone give me some input on how good toyota axles are

i cant talk about which is better since i havent ran either. but one problem you will find is the front toy axle is pass-drop unless you go with a custom housing from somone like FROR.

cheers,

jj

Lightweight, strong (mini-truck birfs need help, FJ-80's are mondo beef), good ground clearance.

Get a Tacoma E-locker rear, very nice. Use an FJ-80 E-locker RS front. You'll need a costom housing to make it driver drop.......

CRASH

I see guys running up to 38in tires on mostly stock toy axles, only upgrade needed is stronger birfield (Newfield, longfield, ect..), and they bash the snot out of them.

Search under my name and there is some good info comparing them to 8.8s and 44 and all the work associated to make them work in an XJ.

Fergie

Fergie, I'll be buying a taco rear soon, how about coming down to Phoenix and help some fellow AZXJ'ers out with the install?

I'm for whatever. I had to put my install on hold for reasons, but it'll be going soon enough.

Just make sure you get some perches and shock mounts, and you'll need your DS shortened, and brake lines adapted.

PM me if ya need info.

Fergie

xXseekanddestroyXx said:
some one was trying to tell me that running duel toyota axles would be better than running duel d44s. can someone give me some input on how good toyota axles are
im not to keen on the Birfields in the front - at 700 for two of the beefiest ones, id rather buy some CTM's for a 44.
the rear axles are bitchin - d44 strength with out the mud low asociated with it, no c-clips, and a removeable carrier to boot.
(i dont know why a removeable carrier is good or bad, but its different than most of the jeeps out there and different sh|t makes a jeep cool)

I did some searching around on Yota axles for a buddy of mine. This is some info that I had found on here. Hope this helps you out!
Here’s a link, this thread is on Yota axles specs., pretty helpful!
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33123&highlight=toyota+axle
Off the thread above, you’ll find another link in there that takes you to this:
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
Here’s another one, this explains some good info about how tough Yota axles are:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40439&highlight=toyota+axle

:cheers:

xXseekanddestroyXx said:

I have a group of buddies all running bobbed Toyotas (strictly trail rigs) with all stock yoder axles and welded diffs. They seem to be suprisingly tough for such a small lookin thing. The only thing that usually causes issues is the birfield joints. They can be upgraded though. Yoder axles have really small pumpkins! They probably have the least diff drag of most axles out there. Gear swaps are cake too with the third member setup just like the ford 9". Keep in mind though they are all running 22R power. Usually the V-8 yoder boys have to get more beef (D60's) and what not to stop bustin stuff. I have seen stock yoder axles holdup for a while to 300hp SBC power. But it's usually just a matter of time before stuff breaks with that much hp/torque pushing big tires:)

FUNKYTEE5

so can you guys make me a list of everything i would need to run duel yoda axles so i can go to my local shop and have them figure out what they need to do. and what gears size i would need to run 35 on them

xXseekanddestroyXx said:
so can you guys make me a list of everything i would need to run duel yoda axles so i can go to my local shop and have them figure out what they need to do. and what gears size i would need to run 35 on them

You'd be well advised to research and assemble your own list, that way you'll have learned something in the process.

What's next, asking us to find the parts for you too?

BTW, I'm still Pro learning curve.

Last edited:
xXseekanddestroyXx said:

You're kidding right?

If you are going to just right a check, don't use Toyota junk, just have "your shop" order a set of ProRock 60's.

CRASH

xXseekanddestroyXx said:
shit man i was just asking im no car pro

responce 1
good thing we dont work on cars

responce 2
search around for axle swaps - and regardless of the axles that are going in some parts are going to be needed -
brackets, brake lines, yoke adaptors, shock mounts, welding rod...
and other swaps will give you good ideas as to what you need.

and what is the fun in swaping axles if you start the project with all the parts and arent waiting for shipping on some items with your rig half apart...
no fun if you dont devolop your own incomplete list and get into it and discover missing parts...

how bout this - you make a write up of your swap and give a complete list of your parts - and ill use it when i do my swap cool?

xXseekanddestroyXx said:
shit man i was just asking im no car pro

It's not about being a "car pro". What will happen if you break one of those axles out on the trail? Are you going to rely on a "car pro" to get you off of the trail?

4 wheeling is not like other motorsports. Especially out West. If your junk fails, and you are helpless and alone, you very well could die.

Research, learn, ask pointed questions, research more, make informed decision.

CRASH

Back